Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Where to locate Infinity component tweets in front

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Where to locate Infinity component tweets in front

Hi:
I just installed the woofers in the doors and I am really apprehensive about where to locate the tweeters. Another question. Were the crappy speakers in the door full-range? I didn't install the Infinity X-overs yet but it sure seems like the door speakers have alot of high end. Thanks
2006 Accord-EX with stock 6-speaker and factory head unit

Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A-pillars, side mirror covers, and the door panel are good places. Tweeter placement is critical for a proper sound stage. A-pillars, and the door panels I think are the best choice. What you should do is try them in different location before committing. Use double sided sticky foam, or something, to mount them temporarily to see how they sound.

The stock "woofer" is receiving a full range signal from the stock HU. If your running an amp don't cut corners and use the stock wiring, do it right and run you own wiring. If your not running an amp, what are you doing pushing components with HU power?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Re: Tweets etc.

Good Morning:
Thanks for your informative response.
I was thinking about the mirror covers and the door panel as my first choices. Your idea of the test locations is very well received. I am doing my upgrade in stages. I will most likely get a new head unit before long and do some sound dampening. I mostly listen to jazz, fusion, classical and quality rock. Accurate reproduction is what's important to me. I was thinking about either an alpine or pioneer hu with about 50W per channel.
At that time, I would upgrade the speaker wiring as well. I also installed a pair of 3-way 6x9 Infinitys in the rear deck.
In the interim, things sound noticeably better, and when I take the next step I am sure it will kick ***.

thanks. any other recommendations would be sincerely appreciated as well.
thanks tp

Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default One last question...

I could also just install a 4 channel amp and keep the factory dash unit, but I read that the hu's in alot of vehicles are pre-eq'd to make the crappy speakers sound better.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by tpernal
I could also just install a 4 channel amp and keep the factory dash unit, but I read that the hu's in alot of vehicles are pre-eq'd to make the crappy speakers sound better.
If sound quality is your priority then you must get an amp. These HU's don't supply more than 15w, and that's being generous. Your components will never sound right with that amount of power. Once you hook up the crossover and tweeters the efficiency is going to go down, and the sound will not have as much authority as it does now.

If you want to keep the stock HU then I highly recommend looking into a JL cleansweep or similar interface. The cleansweep will flatten the EQ of the stock HU and give you a flat signal. It will also let you add aux inputs and a few other things. I really think you should either go aftermarket, or at least go with a cleansweep.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New Head Unit

Thanks again for your input (pun intended).
I am leaning toward a new head unit. I will probably turn to Crutchfield to avoid installation anxiety. That way I can avoid the CleanSweep. I have some #14 speaker wire - copper, twisted with sheathing. That should do fine for the amount of power and cable length involved. If I go around 50 X (4) watts, I am sure it will power the Component drivers adequately.
Thanks again, tp

Old 11-30-2009, 04:59 PM

If running wires into the doors, your gonna have a hell of a time getting wire to pass through the molex plugs in the door jams. I did it in mine and glad I don't have to do it again. I was lucky enough that i only had to deal with the driver's door only having the plug.