Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Who wants to help me dial in the speakers/amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Who wants to help me dial in the speakers/amp?

I have a Boss Audio ce2505 amp, Boss BV9564BI HU, RFD2212 sub 1.5 cu/ft box, OM69-200, OM6-200, Pyramid 1" Tweeters.

6.5"- http://www.o2audio.com/powermidrangom6200-5200-820.jpg
6x9"- http://www.o2audio.com/powermidrangeom69200.jpg
Boss Amp- 5-Channel Mosfet Bridgeable Car Amp | CE2505 | Boss Audio Systems
Rockford Sub- Rockford Fosgate RFD2212 12" Car Subwoofer - Sonic Electronix
Tweeters- Pyramid TW44 1'' 300 Watt Heavy Duty Titanium Super Tweeter - TW44
Boss HU- BV9564BI | Boss Audio Systems
I've messed with the setting on the amp and sounds ok just wondering if a pro would know what to have the eq on the amp set at.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sub is wired down to 2ohms. I never had a 5 channel amp only usee mono before.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Are you only using the amplifier for the subwoofer? If not you should really invest in a monoblock solely for the subwoofer. The subwoofer you have is pretty good, but from my experience BOSS audio amplifiers are not great. You might need need an amp for your highs and mids (yet), but I definitely suggest getting a new amplifier for your subwoofers, preferably a monoblock.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm going to use this amp. I have always used a mono and never amped mids and highs before. I bought a 5 channel so I could do them all with less clutter.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well you initially asked how to set your amps eq, but what your powering with your amp there is no way to effectively set the eq without sacrificing something. Highs and mid are set differently than lows are. If you set the amp based on highs and mids specifications your messing up your lows and rendering your sub useless in terms of its main purpose. If you set your amp for subwoofer, or low bass settings your are going to distort your speakers a lot and probably blow them.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Each channel has its own filter,sensitivity,frequency,bass contols. Anyone else?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Don't ask for an open opinion if you don't want to hear it. I worked in a car audio shop for two years and have worked on countless systems, I was simply trying to give my opinion and helped based on my experiences in the past. BOSS audio is garbage and running highs,mids, and lows off of one amp is retarded. Have fun though.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Itstheaccord
running highs,mids, and lows off of one amp is retarded. Have fun though.
Be nice.

Running an Audison LRx5.1k to power mids, highs, and sub stage is an excellent choice. There are several other nice 5 channel amp solutions. Working in a shop doesn't make you an expert, you have to be careful to no end up biased.

Thanks for the responses that were helpful.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

The Boss amp has input sensitivity range switch that should be coordinated with the head unit output voltage. If less than 2V it is in the left position, if greater than 2V out then in the right position. From there, gain is set to prevent clipping while allowing you to get rated power out of the amp. Pros use oscilloscopes to maximize gain setting, or buy larger amps so clipping is not a concern.

The crossovers should be around 70Hz high pass for channels 1-4, and low pass around 70Hz for the sub channel. Channel switch should be on 5 channel and you should have 6 RCAs from the HU to the amp. You would need to combine the single sub out to fill both amp inputs.

While Boss doesn't make high quality gear, it will work for a while.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Since the amp crossovers will separate lows and highs from the speakers, you can use the head unit EQ as you want without the concerns mentioned above.

To balance the levels of speakers to subs, you can turn down gains on respective channels. Avoid boosts and focus on using cuts.

Us a DMM to adjust gains so left and right are equal. Don't rely on the gain **** position. I use a test tone CD (Autosound 2000 Disc 102). I use a 1kHz tone for speaker channels and a 50Hz tone for sub channels.

Quick Reply: Who wants to help me dial in the speakers/amp?