Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Who wants to help me dial in the speakers/amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Lastly, use your ears. Turn it down if you hear distortion.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Administrator

If we could just get all the members you help in the Stereo section to send you $1.00 per helpful post, you'd be rich..
This goes for all my mods..you'd all be wealthy..Thank You Mods..

Angelo

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you very much KHA. I didnt want to bother you and was hoping you would chime in. It is what I have to work with and dont need much. I respect that people can sink invest in a sound system but I can not. I have combined the sub already and and have the filters set correct my frequency was a little off though. Btw did you mean to type 70Hz for the 1-4 ch? I have an old scope laying around too. Your input was very helpful, sometimes by ear just isnt enough. On my 5th channel out it has a switch for 4ch or 5ch, what is that doing internally to the sub out when I switch it to 4ch? Bridging???

Old 10-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
Be nice.

Running an Audison LRx5.1k to power mids, highs, and sub stage is an excellent choice. There are several other nice 5 channel amp solutions. Working in a shop doesn't make you an expert, you have to be careful to no end up biased.

Thanks for the responses that were helpful.
As I said in the post, I was simply giving my opinion on the set up, not claiming to be anywhere near an expert. For a clean set up I have never heard of anyone using an amp for both his and mids because in most cases it is harder to tune and you lose clarity and distinction between highs mids and bass. I would've never given my initial response had I know it was going to cause anyone to become defensive.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

You dont know what your missing until you have it. I bought the car with mids only, no tweeters. I can finally hear a complete spectrum. Thanks KHA it sounds better and awesome as far as I'm concered. Very clear too.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Itstheaccord
As I said in the post, I was simply giving my opinion on the set up, not claiming to be anywhere near an expert. For a clean set up I have never heard of anyone using an amp for both his and mids because in most cases it is harder to tune and you lose clarity and distinction between highs mids and bass. I would've never given my initial response had I know it was going to cause anyone to become defensive.
No worries. Nothing wrong with conflicting opinions - we all have our preferences and a variety of ideas is welcomed. I just prefer we all be respectful of everyone's respective financial situations when it comes to equipment selection.

Back in the mid 2000's i worked for a shop that sold Boss. The stuff was dirt cheap but we had about 1/10th the number of returns (despite similar sales) compared to Rockford Fosgate. The Boss stuff took abuse well. Some is better than others.

Powerbass is a decent budget brand, FWIW.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RamRob
On my 5th channel out it has a switch for 4ch or 5ch, what is that doing internally to the sub out when I switch it to 4ch? Bridging???
The switch allows the amp to use the inputs on channels 1-4 for a signal used for the amp (4CH mode) or allows for a separate sub input when in 5CH mode. if you have a sub output on the head unit, and you have the extra RCA(s) for the 5th channel, i recommend setting to 5CH - this allows sub level control from the head unit (handy feature).

Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
The switch allows the amp to use the inputs on channels 1-4 for a signal used for the amp (4CH mode) or allows for a separate sub input when in 5CH mode. if you have a sub output on the head unit, and you have the extra RCA(s) for the 5th channel, i recommend setting to 5CH - this allows sub level control from the head unit (handy feature).
Thanks. Everything works well and sounds great together. My hu has the sub output and i did notice when I switched it to 4ch I lost the sub control on the hu.