Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Wiring in a subwoofer and amp...

Old 12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Default Wiring in a subwoofer and amp...

I have a 2007 Accord SE with the stock radio unit. Are there aux jacks on the back of the radio that I can wire up an amplifier and subwoofer with? Has anyone done that?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

you need an amp with high level inputs (factory speaker wires connect directly to the amp), or you'll need to install a Line Output Converter (LOC).

pac-audio also has an amplifier integration harness that will give you the signal and wires you need to feed the amp (you'll just need to run power/ground separate).

most factory head units don't have RCA outputs, i don't know why not. only a few branded aftermarket head units that are factory options (Kenwood in Hyundai) will give you RCA outputs.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Default amp location?

hi,
I also have a 2007 but I have an EX. I don't think that really matters.

Anyways, I was wondering where you planned on mounting your amp(s)?

I am currently in the process of putting my system in that I took out from my previous car and wanted some ideas or suggestions.

What I have

Kenwood MP4032 headunit
Sony Xplod 1000w amp for the subs
Rockford Fosgate P4002 amp
Tsunami 1.2 Farad capacitor.
2x Kenwood Infinity Kappa Perfect subs

I had kenwood speakers but I decided to leave them in my previous car due to the fact I could not find the stock speakers I pulled out.

That being said, any suggestions on where to place my amps and capacitor?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by i4getlots View Post
hi,
I also have a 2007 but I have an EX. I don't think that really matters.

Anyways, I was wondering where you planned on mounting your amp(s)?

I am currently in the process of putting my system in that I took out from my previous car and wanted some ideas or suggestions.

What I have

Kenwood MP4032 headunit
Sony Xplod 1000w amp for the subs
Rockford Fosgate P4002 amp
Tsunami 1.2 Farad capacitor.
2x Kenwood Infinity Kappa Perfect subs

I had kenwood speakers but I decided to leave them in my previous car due to the fact I could not find the stock speakers I pulled out.

That being said, any suggestions on where to place my amps and capacitor?
alot of people mount the amp to the rear of the sub box...but its debated that reduces the life of the amp due to the vibrations...try mounting the amp to the back of your rear seats? or even to the floor...for the capacitor mount it to the floor next to the subs. so then when u pop ur trunk and show off ur system its all nice and high tech

Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Default good grounds?

alright well i went ahead and wired everything up, only to find out i have a bad ground.

are there any good grounding points in the 07 accord sedan?

not 100% sure about this, but there is a wire coming from the fuel pump that appears to be a ground. I just don't want to tap into it and mess up my car ya know?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

don't ground at the fuel pump.

1. find a spot of metal on the floor that is within 18" of your amp.
2. mask off a small area about 3/4" in diameter using good quality masking tape (2-3 layers)
3. sand away paint in this spot until you see shiny metal and remove masking tape
4. find a high-grade bolt/washer/nut combo that is weather resistant - coordinate the size with your ring terminal size)
5. drill a hole adequate for the bolt you are using, i.e. just large enough
6. insert the bolt with the head and washer below the car, and the nut and washer inside the car. it may help to have a second person here.
7. tighten the nut/washer with the ground ring terminal on it.
8. seal the entire bolt head under the car with silicone.+

done.

it will look like this
Name:  accordtrunk0809011.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  accordtrunk0809013.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  50.8 KB

if you have multiple amps, you can use large ground wire (mine is 1/0) to a grounding block like this
Name:  accordtrunk0809010.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  79.8 KB

Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

as far as amplifier mounting locations - there are several others, one i like the most is here:
amp rack in construction:
Name:  accordinstall070509001.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  55.0 KB

carpeted:
Name:  accordinstall070509004.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  59.9 KB

in place:
Name:  accordinstall070509014.jpg
Views: 598

cover to flush up amps
Name:  AccordTrunk1010006.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  86.3 KB

amps in floor - mount in construction:
Name:  accordtrunk0809022.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  65.2 KB

t-nuts for all equipment mounting
Name:  accordtrunk0809018.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  47.6 KB

carpeted using 3M Super77 spray glue
Name:  accordtrunk0809023.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  79.6 KB

amplifiers placed:
Name:  accordtrunk0809030.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  accordtrunk0809004.jpg
Views: 517

resin coated false floor made from 3/4" MDF
Name:  accordIBwall002.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  76.3 KB

carpeted false floor
Name:  accordIBwall003.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  115.5 KB

result (with dual 12" sub Infinite Baffle (IB) wall)
Name:  AccordTrunk1010002.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  119.8 KB

Name:  AccordTrunk1010001.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  134.7 KB

Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Default awesome

hey that looks awesome!
if i had the time and the money and maybe the skills i would do that.
thanks for the grounding advice, i may go out later and do that.

i was thinking of removing the rear seat and try to ground it there instead of the spare tire wheel well.

now i know you have an 01 accord, but you seem to be very knowledgeable about these types of things so i have a question.

instead of buying the $150 dash kit that goes into the factory location im in the process of buying the lower dash kit that is available. meanwhile i have my cd player hooked up just sitting there not too concerned about how it looks right now.
well last night i realized the lights on the A/C controls didnt turn on.
do you know if this is something i have to live with? or is there a way to bypass this?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Default update

so here is an update....

i used a different ground and still no working system. so i decided to try something.

i took the capacitor out of the equation and hooked up my power wire directly to the amp. it worked just fine.

so either my wiring is wrong or my capacitor is gone. im thinking my capacitor is gone because i used the same set up in my previous car and did not have an issue.

so i still have my previous question about the lights for the A/C panel.

just an update on my situation

Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for the update. the cap could have been bad - and they aren't that useful anymore with modern amplifiers.

you could just have a bad bulb in the A/C controls. the bulbs go out after a few years. you can buy the bulbs from hondapartsdeals dot com or your local dealer or ebay for LED versions.

when grounding, i avoid using seatbelt bolts. mostly because i don't like changing factory torque specs for seats and seatbelts. ring terminals are softer metal and don't let you torque to the same amount. this is also why i avoid using suspension bolts for grounding (like the strut towers in the engine bay).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring in a subwoofer and amp...

Advertising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.