Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/detailing-22/)
-   -   best car wax (exterior) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/detailing-22/best-car-wax-exterior-12396/)

loki 09-16-2007 06:56 PM

RE: best car wax (exterior)

All of you have new cars with "clear coat", waxing is really not what you should be doing, the wax clings to the surface and collects dirt and after time will yellow somewhat. Then what one has to do is use a cleaner to get it off so you can put more on--what a plan--. The mothers Synwax is an engineered synthetic polymer, not a wax,and guess what so is your clear coat, so in effect you are coating with a clear coat polymer, and the finish will look like glass and feel the same. When in between if applications of 'ICE' spray is used, it to is a synthetic polymer and will remove any water marks if they appear. ICE is made by Turtle Wax an excellent product also. ICE also has a car wash soap that does not have any wax. If you do get any of the polymers you need to remove them with a microfiber cloth as directed on the label. So do yourself a favor and get out of the 'wax business' By the way both product remove very easily. I know that there are other products out there that are also polymers and are just as good.

falkore24 09-17-2007 10:05 AM

I don't like polymer products because they don't come off. If you think that ICE is any better at not trapping contaminents, then their marketting plan worked on you Loki. Microfiber cloths should be used for everything ...... THEY make the finish more than the product.

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-17-2007 03:48 PM

i dont quite understand. So ur saying using the synthetic polymer is pointless? Im clueless

falkore24 09-17-2007 04:04 PM

No ... what I meant is that after you apply one of the polymer products, you can't get it off of the paint. It's not pointless, but I prefer to use products that if I screw up for one reason or another, I can correct it.

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-17-2007 04:08 PM

but it does protect the paint doesnt it? So u would want it to keep on right?

loki 09-17-2007 04:30 PM

Well '24' I for one have never seen a marketing plan from them. What I pay attention too is what the results are on my driver. If you don't like the polymers maybe you should consider taking of the clear coat that is on it off and just use your fathers wax. Simonize was a great wax, when used with corn starch it was a fabulous shine, However things do change and improve. Polymer coatings are a great example.
AxCxOxRxDx I have been using the polymers with great success to the point that people wait for me to return to the car to find out what I use on it. When used as directed there are no swerls or lines, just a pure color.I do not put anything on my SRT Jeep that is not going to do anything but make it better. When my wife gets her new Accord it too will be treated the same. Go for it.

sir_nasty 09-17-2007 04:40 PM

Here's the Answer to your question from me: for the record I use meguires (sp?) or Turtle wax most of the time... I do REALLY want to get a bottle of Wet paint, that stuff looks like it's amazing.

Here's my rant about Simonize System5: (not the normal store bought stuff)

As for Simonize. They now have a System 5 product that licensed people can put on a car that works much the same as the polymers (if I am understanding your explination of them). Except it encorporates a Teflon coat into the paint surface as well and it does work great and it is perminant so I still don't know what to think about it. I just mention this as a side note, there is no sense in going out and looking for it becasue I believe you can only purchase the System5 stuff from an authorized installer. If you used this stuff on your own and had any swirl marks, water spots, tar or bugs they are in there PERMINENTLY after 72 hours.

falkore24 09-17-2007 04:45 PM

I just prefer other products. My current favorite wax is IBIZ. It goes on super easy, doesn't have to dry before you wipe it off, doesn't care about a hot surface, etc. Also, they say that it can last a half year.

I spray detail my car twice a week and wax every other month. If you like the principle of the polymer products, by all means use them ..... I don't. This includes PTFE and Teflon products.

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-17-2007 04:52 PM

same here and my car has had a great shine.one more question. Someone told me that since ur car becomes slick does that mean anytime a small rock that flies and hits ur car does little or no damage?

falkore24 09-17-2007 04:59 PM

hmmm .... why worry about small rocks when your car repels bricks?

I don't think a wax gives much protection against chips.