Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/detailing-22/)
-   -   best car wax (exterior) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/detailing-22/best-car-wax-exterior-12396/)

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-10-2007 07:31 PM

best car wax (exterior)

hi I am currently using mothers fx synwax and i was wondering what u all use. This is so far the best ive use. I was driving home one night on the interstate and some douche pulled to the side without warning and a brick flew from his truck and hit my hood. I was so mad I felt like turning back and shooting up his truck but yeh. I went home and to my surprise no scratches or nothing! I think it was bc that day I waxed my car with fx. Anyway to the point I was wondering if there is an even better and longerlasting wax with an even better shine or what u guys use and recommend.

smaglik 09-10-2007 08:46 PM

RE: best car wax (exterior)

i think you got lucky with the brick...wax cant protect that...nothing can.

i have been happy with meguirs on my m3.

WheelBrokerAng 09-10-2007 09:12 PM

Do a search in this forum uner wet paint glaze . com and see what you drum up...Desert Honda and I both use this product ourselves..

WheelBrokerAng [sm=bling.gif] Looks Good, Yes!

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/ABDE97E65DC14611B9AD9495A5F4810B.jpg[/IMG]

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-10-2007 09:44 PM

idk man but i do despise any big vehicles or anything that tows. They always got crap flying fron their cargo. As for that brick im not so sure. I hit the brick going 70 and i could feel it from my feet when it hit.

vtecHef 09-10-2007 10:16 PM

Iuse Zano Bros.. its good stuff kinda pricy... WORTH it though !!!

falkore24 09-11-2007 08:28 AM

I use IBIZ. By far the easiest application of any I've tried ..... they say that it lasts up to 6 months also, but I reapply about every other month. No car washes and detailer spray will prolong the wax. As for the brick, take a look at your hood in the sun! I find it very hard to believe that a brick didn't leave a mark.

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-11-2007 03:24 PM

I did that. I shined a light on it. I checked it he next morning to be sure and to my surprise..nothing. I checked around the wholeseea as well

Carbon91EuroR 09-11-2007 10:10 PM

I use Meguiars quik wax, so I can dry and pre-wax at the same time, then I usually put 3 to 4 coats of Meguiars gold class wax,shines like gold too;). And for that crappy molding on the sides that always seems to be brown, i use Meguiars hot shine. takes me usually 2 hours to do the whole thing, but well worth the time and sweat! I will always buy Meguiars products, because of the time I meet Mr. Meguiar. Just the kindest and most intentive person, he deosn't care who you are or what you drive, as long as you love cars in any way, he would be your best friend. My car was practicly stock, but he still noticed the small things that i had worked on. Over all just a great man in my opinion!

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-11-2007 11:48 PM

Daaaaam 3 coats eh? U dont play. Well I thought about getting the gold liquid wax but I wasn't sure about it. Does it protect the car that well or is it more based on shines?

falkore24 09-12-2007 07:30 AM

Gold Medallion is a great product. I use it sometimes as well. Per coat it does have a nicer shine than the IBIZ, but in the time that it takes you to do 1 coat I can have 2 done with IBIZ. More than 2 coats is a waste of time and money IMO. If you need more than 2 coats will give you then you need a pre-wax product, pre-wax anti-oxidizer (Step 1) or paint sealer (Step 2). After the wax, use detailer spray! I use Meguires Ultimate Quik Detailer for the Rain-Ex like finish, but Mother's leaves a beautiful shine (better than the Meguires) and Turtle Wax Ultimate Detailer (easiest application plus good shine) are also great products that I use. I plan to try Wet Paint Glaze and the Zaino Bros. products in the near future.

loki 09-16-2007 06:56 PM

All of you have new cars with "clear coat", waxing is really not what you should be doing, the wax clings to the surface and collects dirt and after time will yellow somewhat. Then what one has to do is use a cleaner to get it off so you can put more on--what a plan--. The mothers Synwax is an engineered synthetic polymer, not a wax,and guess what so is your clear coat, so in effect you are coating with a clear coat polymer, and the finish will look like glass and feel the same. When in between if applications of 'ICE' spray is used, it to is a synthetic polymer and will remove any water marks if they appear. ICE is made by Turtle Wax an excellent product also. ICE also has a car wash soap that does not have any wax. If you do get any of the polymers you need to remove them with a microfiber cloth as directed on the label. So do yourself a favor and get out of the 'wax business' By the way both product remove very easily. I know that there are other products out there that are also polymers and are just as good.

falkore24 09-17-2007 10:05 AM

I don't like polymer products because they don't come off. If you think that ICE is any better at not trapping contaminents, then their marketting plan worked on you Loki. Microfiber cloths should be used for everything ...... THEY make the finish more than the product.

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-17-2007 03:48 PM

i dont quite understand. So ur saying using the synthetic polymer is pointless? Im clueless

falkore24 09-17-2007 04:04 PM

No ... what I meant is that after you apply one of the polymer products, you can't get it off of the paint. It's not pointless, but I prefer to use products that if I screw up for one reason or another, I can correct it.

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-17-2007 04:08 PM

but it does protect the paint doesnt it? So u would want it to keep on right?

loki 09-17-2007 04:30 PM

Well '24' I for one have never seen a marketing plan from them. What I pay attention too is what the results are on my driver. If you don't like the polymers maybe you should consider taking of the clear coat that is on it off and just use your fathers wax. Simonize was a great wax, when used with corn starch it was a fabulous shine, However things do change and improve. Polymer coatings are a great example.
AxCxOxRxDx I have been using the polymers with great success to the point that people wait for me to return to the car to find out what I use on it. When used as directed there are no swerls or lines, just a pure color.I do not put anything on my SRT Jeep that is not going to do anything but make it better. When my wife gets her new Accord it too will be treated the same. Go for it.

sir_nasty 09-17-2007 04:40 PM

Here's the Answer to your question from me: for the record I use meguires (sp?) or Turtle wax most of the time... I do REALLY want to get a bottle of Wet paint, that stuff looks like it's amazing.

Here's my rant about Simonize System5: (not the normal store bought stuff)

As for Simonize. They now have a System 5 product that licensed people can put on a car that works much the same as the polymers (if I am understanding your explination of them). Except it encorporates a Teflon coat into the paint surface as well and it does work great and it is perminant so I still don't know what to think about it. I just mention this as a side note, there is no sense in going out and looking for it becasue I believe you can only purchase the System5 stuff from an authorized installer. If you used this stuff on your own and had any swirl marks, water spots, tar or bugs they are in there PERMINENTLY after 72 hours.

falkore24 09-17-2007 04:45 PM

I just prefer other products. My current favorite wax is IBIZ. It goes on super easy, doesn't have to dry before you wipe it off, doesn't care about a hot surface, etc. Also, they say that it can last a half year.

I spray detail my car twice a week and wax every other month. If you like the principle of the polymer products, by all means use them ..... I don't. This includes PTFE and Teflon products.

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-17-2007 04:52 PM

same here and my car has had a great shine.one more question. Someone told me that since ur car becomes slick does that mean anytime a small rock that flies and hits ur car does little or no damage?

falkore24 09-17-2007 04:59 PM

hmmm .... why worry about small rocks when your car repels bricks?

I don't think a wax gives much protection against chips.

AxCxCxOxRxD 09-17-2007 05:11 PM

LOL good point falklore. Thanks guys ur all awesome

sir_nasty 09-17-2007 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

hmmm .... why worry about small rocks when your car repels bricks?

I don't think a wax gives much protection against chips.

*ROFL* That's great.... That's one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while... I'm half tempted to put that in a signature line....

RTexasF 09-17-2007 05:27 PM

No ... what I meant is that after you apply one of the polymer products, you can't get it off of the paint. It's not pointless, but I prefer to use products that if I screw up for one reason or another, I can correct it.
There are hundreds of polymer products. What you need to clarify is the over the counter products YOU are using are hard to get off. Don't clump them all together because they are notall the same. There are some superb polymer products out there, I know because I use some of them and they are easy on, easy off, with outstanding looks and durability.

I do agree that auto finish products containing teflon are a joke.

RTexasF 09-17-2007 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: loki

All of you have new cars with "clear coat", waxing is really not what you should be doing, the wax clings to the surface and collects dirt and after time will yellow somewhat. Then what one has to do is use a cleaner to get it off so you can put more on--what a plan--. The mothers Synwax is an engineered synthetic polymer, not a wax,and guess what so is your clear coat, so in effect you are coating with a clear coat polymer, and the finish will look like glass and feel the same. When in between if applications of 'ICE' spray is used, it to is a synthetic polymer and will remove any water marks if they appear. ICE is made by Turtle Wax an excellent product also. ICE also has a car wash soap that does not have any wax. If you do get any of the polymers you need to remove them with a microfiber cloth as directed on the label. So do yourself a favor and get out of the 'wax business' By the way both product remove very easily. I know that there are other products out there that are also polymers and are just as good.
If you are using Simonize from the 50's & 60's you are correct. Modern waxes (true wax) do not yellow. Personally I am in favor of sealants but many top detailers use a spray wax, such as Optimum, for the last topper. I'm far from a top detailer but I use wax upon customer request. Sometimesit's usedon my own car after the sealant bonds to the paint. Optimum is a blend of Canauba and Polymers and it is the easiestapplying,best looking waxyou have ever used.The paste waxes have come a long way also. Not knocking your choice of product just putting a little correction into the mix.

falkore24 09-18-2007 04:58 PM

I wasn't refering to the application, I meant that polimers are hard to remove should you need to. I'm aware that they provide a nice finish and that there are hundreds of these products, but I still prefer non-polimer products. My finishing spray is a polimer, but it doesn't last nearly as long as a "waxing" polimer product.

BTW - Teflon is great for pots and pans!

sir_nasty 09-18-2007 05:06 PM

The only pot/pan that should ever contain teflon is a saute or omlette pan.... (yes this is way off topic)

RTexasF 09-18-2007 08:17 PM

I wasn't refering to the application, I meant that polimers are hard to remove should you need to. I'm aware that they provide a nice finish and that there are hundreds of these products, but I still prefer non-polimer products. My finishing spray is a polimer, but it doesn't last nearly as long as a "waxing" polimer product.

BTW - Teflon is great for pots and pans!

I gotcha now. I've had no problems stripping them off at all. A decent buffer and a good polish will take the paint down to squeaky clean in short order. There are also chemical cleaners like Klasse AIO that will remove it.

falkore24 09-18-2007 08:54 PM

That cleaner is good to know about; thanks! I never thought of a wax washing chemical .... gonna look it up after I'm done on HAF. I'm not an autobody tech and I don't trust myself with a rotory buffer. I have a small orbital that I use mostly for my leather and other people's cars. Also, I hardly polish at all. The last time I did was when I claybar'd the car bout a year and a half ago ... with the amount of spray detailing and waxing I do it's not necessary. I guess I just had a few bad experiences with the poly waxes a long time ago and have been happy with what I've been using.

What poly-wax do you recommend? I'll give it a try and let you know what I think. Also what about polish .... just good to have around (17 yr. old sister has already needed a bunch of marks removed).

RTexasF 09-19-2007 07:37 AM

Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and 1 are my go to polishes but a Porter Cable or Cyclo buffer is required. I don't know of any that work well by hand. The three from Optimum are tops but again, gotta have a decent buffer/polisher. Two product that I use are Aqua Wax (a sealant) and Optimum wax (a wax) and they are superb. They are sprays and are easily hand applied. They look their best the day after application.

Klasse AIO can also be applied and removed by hand, super easy to use and leaves a brilliant shine of its own. It must be topped with sealant or wax. Wet Paint (see sticky @ top of this section) is also an excellentcleaner that seals and leaves a brilliant shine. It can be done entirely by hand. You can top it but it isn't required like Klasse AIO.

falkore24 09-19-2007 09:14 AM

Cool, thanks! I've read about Wet Paint and had planned to try it out. So for polishing, the orbital is no good?

RTexasF 09-19-2007 12:07 PM

The Porter Cable and Cyclo buffers mentioned above are both orbital dual action polisher/buffers. The small Sears type $35-50 orbitals simply don't have enough power for polishing, mark removal, nor are the correct pads available.

falkore24 09-19-2007 12:15 PM

Ok, got it .... so basicaly, no polishing for me, but I'll look into the products that you mentioned for use as a milder rubbing compound.

RTexasF 09-19-2007 05:58 PM

That's about it..........just lay in the sand and do it by hand! :D:D:D:D

falkore24 09-19-2007 06:02 PM

[sm=happybounce.gif][sm=thanx.gif]

korrupt1 09-20-2007 08:02 PM

Poorboys for me also......and use a different combo of mothers and Meguairs for hi speed polishing...but since the paint on my car is shot I dont waste the time cleaning it....new paint is coming though

stone1214 09-22-2007 08:59 PM

for quick fixes Eagle One Nanowax is comes on quick and comes off clean. If you have the time Meguiars Yellow Wax is awesome, its a bit thick but gives you a phenomenal shine.

nafango2 09-30-2007 05:57 PM

i use whatever wax the car wash at the gas station sprays on in the "ultimate" level car wash.
lol.

falkore24 10-01-2007 09:37 AM

Car washes scratch cars. I stay away from them at all costs.

nafango2 10-01-2007 02:55 PM

they have the "laser wash" where im at.
it doesnt use brushes, it just sprays the liquid on.