Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Cant Smoke Without A Lighter!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Default Cant Smoke Without A Lighter!

Hey forum dudes! So my car is testing me I think. First my radio breaks down and now my cigerette lighter goes out. I don't smoke but i use the plugin for my cell phone charger. One day is came loose but is was still working. And then a couple of days ago it just stopped working. I am completely lost. Can someone please help. In the post there is a picture of my car charger attached to the cigerette lighter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14363/F2CCFCE7A95848C090AD65C40CBDC141.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Default RE: Cant Smoke Without A Lighter!

what i do is just go to the shops and get a portable cigerate lighter that clamps straight to the Battery. and just wire them into your car. i used to have it in my nissan but i have rip them apart and attach them to my accor for LED's...
works perfect and never blew up or anything

Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

If I remember right, in our year of Accord the cigarrete lighter has a plug just a little ways back farther than your pick shows. It might have came unclipped since you have pulled it out so far. If your radio is toast, get a new one, and check out the wiring for the lighter while it is apart anyways.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm of the mindset that if there are known electrical problems with the lighter and radio, abandon the bad wiring, cut it back to be neat and electrical tape it up so it can't short from where you cut it. Then re-wire the radio and plug from scratch. It's not fun, but better that than risk other electrical damage.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: falkore24

I'm of the mindset that if there are known electrical problems with the lighter and radio, abandon the bad wiring, cut it back to be neat and electrical tape it up so it can't short from where you cut it. Then re-wire the radio and plug from scratch. It's not fun, but better that than risk other electrical damage.
Thats also a good idea as well. Although with something like this, if you were to do as Falkore suggested after soldering the wires I would coat the bare wires in Liquid Electrical tape, let it dry, apply electrical tape, and then another coat of the liquid stuff.

Why? I have put in quite a few radios and apply elec. tape in excess you could say, but even so it still unwravels a bit so the liquid will prevent it. I have only used it a couple of times and I love the combination. Only about $3 for a small can.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

LOL .... well if it were me, I'd probably cut the wire clean, tape it back on itself and shrink-tube that, but most people aren't nuts like us

Old 02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: falkore24

LOL .... well if it were me, I'd probably cut the wire clean, tape it back on itself and shrink-tube that, but most people aren't nuts like us
lol

Well either way should work okay! Though mine would obviously be the better choice....jk! [8D]