Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Is Car Wax required?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Default Is Car Wax required?

If so, how do I wax my car? Can car wax damage the paint? Is it safe? Sorry but I'm new to waxing car.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Is Car Wax required?

Wax can't damage the paint, but the person detailing the car can. IBIZ is probably the easiest and one of the best that I've used .... you have to order it. I like Wet Paint Glaze also. If I had a brand new car though, I'd spend an entire day on it with the 15-20 step Zaino Brother's process. I know a guy with an xB RS 4.0 show box and he does the Zaino once a year and doesn't rewax for a year. He just uses their detailer spray and once in a while, their carwash. His finish is rediculous. Next meet I'll snap a pic.

My next tester wax will be Lusso Oro. A buddy uses it and his car looks awesome too!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Im a big user of the WetPaint Glaze my self. I have only been using it twice a year and the brillient shine stays with the car...

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 PM

I did a tripple glaze last week and I'm sure that I'll be doing more soon ..... yup, I'm just nuts!!! FYI Wet Paint doesn't compare to the Zaino Brothers system, but it also doesn't take 8 hours to apply.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 AM

I have always waxed/ polished my cars and have never has any issues with my paint. A good quality wax is a good place to start and the instructions are usually on the bottle.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 AM

On the contrary, not using a wax or sealant is harmful to paint. My suggestion is to start with something very simple like Wet Paint Glaze mentioned above. Click on this link and play the video at the bottom of the first page, you'll see how simple it is and the results:

http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/index.html

There is also a sticky at the top of the detailing section about the product, it's well worth a read.

Another product with very good results is Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax2.0 available atmany stores. I'm not a huge fan of over the counter products but this one works well and will be a cinch for a newby to use as is the other productmentioned above available by delivery.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM

always wax in shade. i go not in circles but just straight across (left to right) for the entire length of the car.

i usually go wash (rainxwash-wax conc), dry, clay bar (turtle ICE), rinse, dry, buff, mothers wax, buff, final coat of ca..something...buff

Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM

If you have never waxed you car......well first it depends on the year on the paint of the car, second, how many scratches/swirlmarks you have and the color of the car. Waxing your car will give you VERY LIMITED RESULTS if your clear (that is, if you have a 2 stage system base-clear coat) is full of contamimnants. (feel the suface of the hood of the car and if it feels like sand paper you got work to do!!!)

Step one, wash your car with regular dishwasing fluid.
Then go to the store and get a bottle of the cheapest lubricant (spray detailer) you can get and a claybar. Start from the hood down and rub the clay bar one section at a time making sure you lubricate as you rub the claybar on the surface of the car. Wipe with a cloth as you go. Do it on the shade!!!! and WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT DROP THE CLAYBAR (YOU'LL HAVE TO THROW IT OUT If YOU DO)

Do the entire car. This will have removed most of the contaminants embeded in your clear coat.

Contaminants affect the quality of the reflection of the clear and you get these over the years ( acid rain, tree sap, carwashes -yep!! carwashes, especially those with the round spinning shamies!) so it does not matter which wax you use. You will get some shine but that is it.

After using the claybar.......
Get yourself a bottle of polish and one of wax....If you're looking for shine use caranuba wax. However, it will not last as long. A synthetic wax will give yoy longer protection.

Polishing your car......There are A LOT of names out there...some waxes have a cleaner /wax mixture. But what you really want is to polish the car and then wax it ( to protect the shine).

I use a heavy duty polisher with the velcro system....How ever you need experience or you run the risk of burning your clear coat and even though I'm not a fan of those orbital sanders, you can, after claying the car, use it with a polish to bring on the shine.

Waxing you car.....do yourself a favor, do it by hand.......not in circles....back and forth. Multiple thin coats are way better than one thick coat.

After removing your wax....use a spray detailer and a microfiber towel to go over the car for the ultimate shine and to remove any excess wax build up in corners, door handles etc.

This is just a summary for a basic paint detailing...........

THERE IS WETSANDING, compounding, polishing, swirlmark removal and more things you can do to make the car look like it just came out of the showroom....or better. But this requires a little more experience as it involves scratch and swirlmark removals. If you paint is in decent condition.............

This should be a start.

Patience and lots of shade however, will give you some nice results with the clay system...

Old 06-26-2008, 05:04 PM

Information overload for a guy that asks "how do I wax my car" ya think?? Correct yes, but the opening question begs for a simple all in oneproduct for a newby. When is the last time you hand polished a car? That is a fool's errand at best and requires equipment and knowledge thatobviously the thread starter does not have. Also dish soap should not be needed on a 2008 car. He's not applying a full Zaino regimen. Car wash soap will do all he needs.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM

my car had never been waxed before I got it and the paint was in great condition. its 12 years old. I wax it now regualarly, and although it's much shinier, its condition has not changed.
Neither of my parents have ever waxed their car, and they only get a car wash about once a month, and the paint from both of their cars has lasted fine. As long as you repair paint chips so it doesnt rust, typically the paint will outlast the life of the car.

so, no, its not required, although it makes your car look much better.

Quick Reply: Is Car Wax required?