Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Meguiar's NXT 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Default Meguiar's NXT 2.0

Thought I would give this a go as it is supposed to be "New & Improved" in this 2.0 version.

It's an over the counter product avalaible for about $17.00. The new & improved portion, as opposed to the 1.0, is ease of use and durability.

It smells like grape which is kinda nice as oppposed to a petrochemical snort as some come off with. Application is easy enough as is removal providing you apply it very thin in the first place, true of all products.

I applied it to the hoods of my '04 Redondo Red Accord and my lady's Sand colored '08 RAV4. Application was done with a damp terrycloth covered sponge (two separate ones) and removed with high quality microfiber towels. Sure enough it was shiny bright, as expected, but not very slick to the touch.

The next day, after it cured, it was very slick to the touch but not as much as some other products I use. Shine, depth, and reflection had improved over the previous day. When the cars were put in the sun for a fine toothed comb comparison I noticed my hood was darker than the rest of the surrounding paint. Her's looked very good and had more depth than the surrounding paint. I gave them both another coat and blew it off for the day.

The next day her hood really looked killer but the flake was muted on mine and it was darker than before. Both were even slicker to the touch than the day before. HMMMM! I cannot attest as to the improved durability yet.

The following day I applied another coat to her hood and removed the product from mine with Klasse AIO.....twice. Her's now looked like glass and mine was back to where it was prior to the NXT, lighter in color and mucho flake pop.

Conclusions? Bueno fine for light colors or solid black, red, dark colors with no flake. It WILL mute the flake on dark colors and multple coats make it worse. Mind you this is coming from a very critical eye that has used a hundred products in tests like this.

Overall I think the look is good. It reflects like crazy and gets more 3D and mirrorlike with multiple applications PROVIDING you have taken the color considerations above to heart.

In all honesty I still think Wet Paint does a much better job and doesn't darken colors or mute flake. NXT does cost less but also does less. WP can be used to safely clean a pretty dirty surface where the NXT is only usable after all is perfectly clean and prepped.

Solid colors with no flake? It is very good especially with multiple apps. Light colors? Same. Dark with flake? Pass. Will I buy it again? NO but that doesn't mean it won't work well for you. It is good to very good (color dependant) but not exceptional in my book. This was a short and limited test so take that into consideration please.

This critique and a quarter won't even get you a call at a pay phone

Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Meguiar's NXT 2.0

I'm still useing WetPaint Glaze and I'm very Happy about it..

Good tryout and report on the Meguiars NXT 2.0.
For all of you who don't know RTex is a Proffesional with these products he uses...

WheelBrokerAng

Thanks Rick

Old 03-21-2008, 10:27 PM

Your talking about tech wax right? I use it on all my cars and love it. It wipes off easier than other cheaper waxes.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I've got it.
I didnt know they have a new version.

Were you using the liquid form or the paste? They both are the same price, but there are more ounces in the liquid version, and mine came with an applicatior pad. I agree, the smell is awesome! And I think it works amazingly!

It makes my Bordeaux Accord sooooo shiny!
I also detailed my g/fs aunts Infiniti suv (ah I forget the name, it is the sister of the nissan murano). Anyways, it was a flaky silver and when I finished it looked absolutely stunning. I'll have to get pics if I do it again.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: j_man_honda

Your talking about tech wax right? I use it on all my cars and love it. It wipes off easier than other cheaper waxes.
Yes, it is the liquid Tech Wax 2.0. I should have put that in the title for clarification, sorry. Most of the products I use are specialty types not available over the counter but this works well within the limitations.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 AM

I have never used "Wet Paint" but general rule of thumb is if a product has cleaning abilities it usually has a saw off in the durability side. NXT 2.0 does do minor cleaning.

Is this the product your comparing itto?WET PAINT Automotive Polishing Glaze, or simply, "Wet Paint".

If so its not an apples to apples comparrison.

But if its this product in the link below I sure wouldn't use it on a good paint surface that was any more than dusty from sitting. Thier page sounds like an Infomercial in print.

http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/story.html

Old 04-20-2008, 03:57 PM

Your choice if you care to use Wet Paint Glaze or not. Many here swear by it as do I. I can tell you first hand that it will work on much more than dusty surfaces due to it's exceptional cleaning ability. Go back to their website and take the time to look at the video at the bottom of the first page.Am I saying it's the answer to every paint problem? No, not by any means. It cleans, shines and, seals in one application. If a car needs a buffer and polish/compound this is no substitute. It will correct minor problemswhen used with a wool pad though. Durability with two coats has gone up to four months when I tested it initially. This was with normal washing as required to see how well it held up. It works for me and the stuff has been around for almost twenty years so draw your own conclusions. If I had a dollar for every time I've been told that it can'twork because of (insert blah blah blahhere) I would be a wealthy man.

As far as apples to apples you are correct. They are two different products meant for different purposes.What I mean to get across was that the 2.0 will darken colors and mute flake whereas the WP does not darken and enhances flake. Wheelbroker uses it on a showcar exclusively and the paint job alone costs more than many cars I've owned.

This is my dirty car done with Wet Paint. If you think I'm going to use anything that will mar the surface you are certainly incorrect. I do admit this is right at the limit where it is safe and practical to use but I had to test it to see for myself on my own car. Halogen lights after I was done showedthat there was no marring or spiderwebs on the surface. For the guy that wants a clean shiney car with minimum hassle this is made for him. Equipment required is two or three terrycloth towels, microfiber will work but not as well.

Click pic for larger image-

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/3F5B3E3B9F484CAEB5B8DEBE2534ED54.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/0F687FDC842F4434979CB2569F32B270.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Meguiar's NXT 2.0T TWB

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

Your choice if you care to use Wet Paint Glaze or not. Many here swear by it as do I. I can tell you first hand that it will work on much more than dusty surfaces due to it's exceptional cleaning ability. Go back to their website and take the time to look at the video at the bottom of the first page.Am I saying it's the answer to every paint problem? No, not by any means. It cleans, shines and, seals in one application. If a car needs a buffer and polish/compound this is no substitute. It will correct minor problemswhen used with a wool pad though. Durability with two coats has gone up to four months when I tested it initially. This was with normal washing as required to see how well it held up. It works for me and the stuff has been around for almost twenty years so draw your own conclusions. If I had a dollar for every time I've been told that it can'twork because of (insert blah blah blahhere) I would be a wealthy man.

As far as apples to apples you are correct. They are two different products meant for different purposes.What I mean to get across was that the 2.0 will darken colors and mute flake whereas the WP does not darken and enhances flake. Wheelbroker uses it on a showcar exclusively and the paint job alone costs more than many cars I've owned.

This is my dirty car done with Wet Paint. If you think I'm going to use anything that will mar the surface you are certainly incorrect. I do admit this is right at the limit where it is safe and practical to use but I had to test it to see for myself on my own car. Halogen lights after I was done showedthat there was no marring or spiderwebs on the surface. For the guy that wants a clean shiney car with minimum hassle this is made for him. Equipment required is two or three terrycloth towels, microfiber will work but not as well.

Click pic for larger image-

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/3F5B3E3B9F484CAEB5B8DEBE2534ED54.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/0F687FDC842F4434979CB2569F32B270.jpg[/IMG]
And Jesstzn...Here is a picture of the car Tex had just mentioned..Go Ahead..You May Drool over the WET Paint Glaze Shine...everyone does
Thats me behind that camera...HI!

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/2510F25A13E54849A27B69EBE1B6EFA4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/25974A985FF14E6689C62303B5E186C5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2008, 06:24 PM

How does the hood look after a 50/50 IPA / Water wipedown to remove anything that on it?

Old 04-20-2008, 08:14 PM

Simple, if the surface beneath was perfectly prepared then you will see a perfectly polished surface. If not you won't.
I've taken great pains to explain what is does and doesn't do. You seem hell bent on tearing it down in spite of the fact you have never seen it much less used it. I don't know how I can explain it any better. As I said initially it's your choice if you care to use it or not. I have no connection with itso I couldn't care less.

For customers that won'tpay for fullpaint correction but "just want it to look nice" it has made me a bunch of bucks and those people are still coming back. For the weekend car washer that wants his/her ride to look sharp there is nothing easier to use that equals the results. This is especially true for those that have no intention of ever owning a buffer and have little time for their cars due to other responsibilities.

Lighten up a little. Being skeptical is natural, I sure was. I had many so called "pros" tell me why it couldn't/wouldn't work and not one of them had ever even used it which is typical. I didn't listen to them since they had nothing to base their negativity on and bought the product. That was many years ago and I have purchased by the case ever since. It works for mealong many others here& on other forumsso that's that!

This thread is now way off topic from the original intention.