Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

My AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned
Default RE: My AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help

ORIGINAL: Julian91

my ac doesnt work at all and i have no idea whats wrong wit it
Mine is knackered too. I had mine checked at a Honda dealer and it turns out it is leaking. Replacement parts cost more than the car is worth.

Here is what I would do.

Start the engine and let it idle for a min or two. Watching the revcounter and listening for the engine switch the A/C on. You should normally see/hear the engine revs drop as the compressor starts. If you don't then it is either, no A/C coolant gas or a faulty compressor.

At this point I personally would go to an A/C repair company or Honda and ask them to re-gas it. They will also put a dye in which when viewd under UV light will show up any leaks. They will most likely ask you to return in a week or two to have it checked.

If the compressor has faulted I guess it will be obvious to them from the day one.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:45 PM

did anyone get the smell issue fixed? I'm curious if it was in fact the cabin air filter

Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 AM

Yeah.. i have an 06 accord as well 5000 miles and just recently the ac smells likePOOP ..but the smell goes away after a while.. i basically just run it full blast for afew minutes.. but if honda can fix this problem that would be great

Old 06-01-2006, 11:16 PM

Something is obviously wrong here. It is time to stand up tall and demand (although nicely) that the dealer take care of this problem.
Here is something that WILL take care of the problem but only temporarily if a malfuntion is causing it. I used to distribute this stuff and it WILL remove skunk!

http://nokout.com/Nok-Out_faqs.html

Old 06-02-2006, 09:12 PM

I still have the problem.
Dealer said he cant help me.

motof4i : when did you start having this problem ? Was it the from the very 1st day ?

Old 06-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: redwaterfried

motof4i : when did you start having this problem ? Was it the from the very 1st day ?

ORIGINAL: redwaterfried

MMMMMMMMMM///???? What do you mean dealer said they cannot help............that is TOTALLY UNEXCEPTABLE .. you car is still under warranty , they HAVE to find a way to fix it and satisfy you ,,
I would leave the car there till fixed and DEMAND yes DEMAND a car loaner till issue is resolved..
Also call Honda customer service http://automobiles.honda.com/info/cu..._relations.asp and tell them about your situation,, I have NEVER, EVER heard such a ridiculous thing
( dealer cannot help you. ) ... So what are they saying ??

( well sir tough luck but ,, you have to cope with the smell ) .......it is absurd ..

Old 06-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Quick!!! take notice!!! I found the problem!!! It's those burritos that he had for lunch the day before!

Edit: just kidding :P

IT is most likely

a. mold

or

b. something got in there and died

or

c. someone thought they would be funny and took a leak in your cowl....(no I am not kidding that happened to a friend of mine and that stuff smelled nasty for the longest time)

Old 07-13-2006, 05:14 AM
Digi
Unregistered

I have read before that if you have mold, smoke smell, etc coming from your AC, that you spray a tad bit of lysol in AC intake. It will kill any mold/bacteria etc. I am not sure where the intake is for the AC though....

Old 06-20-2007, 06:28 PM

I know that this post is extremely old, but I was wondering if anybody had found a solution to the problem. My 2004 Accord's AC smells like crap when you turn it on. The dealer told me to just spray Lysol into the AC vents. I didn't have time to sit there and argue with them, but since my car is still under warranty, what would you suggest? Take it back and make them figure out what is causing it? Or call Customer Service? Or both?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:18 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

The AC smells b/c you dont use it enough, you use it a little which causes condensation, and when the tubing for the AC/heat warm up, things tend to grow really well in a dark, moist, and humid environment. I had this happen to me, and what I did was opened my windows during a half hour trip and set the controls to the highest heat at max blast with the air going to the footwell and out the top. If it is a hot say already, it will kill any mold or bacteria in there assuming you do it long enough. 15 minutes may do it. So get ready to sweat, but after that you'll be good. Just be sure to use your AC more often.
And lastly, when you are almost at your destination, turn your AC off but leave the air blowing. That will puish out the remaining cold air.

Let us know how it works!

Quick Reply: My AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help