Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Wet Paint & Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
phishie
Unregistered
Default Wet Paint & Wax?

Hey everyone-

I'm new to HA Forum, been reading up here a lot recently on cleaning products, especially Wet Paint. I went ahead and ordered some based on the rave reviews it's gotten. Should have it by the end of the week so I'm trying to get my system & products in order for a good ol' car cleaning. Before I get to the questions I should let you know about the car. I have a '07 Silver Accord Coupe (wanted graphite but it never showed up at the dealer, got a free teflon coating out of it), only got it about 5 weeks ago. Put about 1,500 miles on it since and a decent amount of dirt, pollen & bugs as well as a little bird ****. All in all it's grimy, but not terrible like it went through a swamp or anything. Actually, I'm located in the DC-metro region so that acid rain hasn't helped either, leaving some nasty water marks also.

So anyways, I'm planning on a good wash -> clay -> wash -> pre-wax cleaner -> 2x or 3x WP applications. For the wash and pre-wax I'm going to pick up some Mequiars Gold Class wash, and some Sonus or Klasse pre-wax cleanser. For the windows I'll try to find some Stoner's Invisible Glass.

So, where do I fit regular old wax into that cleaning, before or after WP and furthermore, should I at all?? The rain truly is nasty down here so I could use all the water protection I can get. Also, do you guys think I should use a sealant, or is WP all I need? What about claying & pre-wax cleaner, should I skip them as well? The car is only 5 weeks old and I don't know if that teflon coating has any requirements when it comes to cleaning. How about Stoner's invisible glass, can and how do I use that with WP? Lastly, do you guys use a wax on your wheels with WP, or just WP?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for the great forum-
phish

Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Wet Paint & Wax?

Hey! I havent used WP but I am pretty sure it is a sealant, so you will want to use it after you wax. Make sure you get a REALLY good wax, like Mequiars NXP or something. Also people just use WP on their wheels. But double check with the pros first!

As far as Stoners Invisible Glass...that is the best glass cleaner EVER. Use it was a clean microfiber towel and I promise you will never use any other glass cleaner. Good luck and put some pics up when you are done! Some people also wax their windows too. Ive done it once and liked it.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:00 PM
phishie
Unregistered

I'm confused, I've read different opinions on whether to apply wax then wet paint or vice versa. What's everyone think?

Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 PM
phishie
Unregistered

I've done a lot more reading and it seems the consensus is to apply WP then a wax. I've heard really great things about Duragloss Aqua Wax so I think I'll go that route. Since the car is pretty new, I'm going to skip the clay & pre-wax cleaner. Also, I've heard Duragloss Auto Shampoo is even better than the Mequiares Gold Class Wash, so I'm going to try and pick some of that up.

Now my only confusion is if I should use the Stoners Invisible glass first or WP on the windows/winshields...

Old 10-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

First wash the car with dish soap to remove any old wax, then WP, then wax. I really like IBIX, but most people haven't tried it. It's the easiest I've tried. Easier than quick-waxes. I'd leave the glass alone. If you need to polish it later on, claybar it. Otherwise just wipe with Stoner's like 19A97 said.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:08 AM

I ordered WP and gonna use it on the weekend or on Monday and I was reading on their web site about that. What they say is that you can apply WP over wax. I didn't find anything about waxing over WP. It's a sealer so I'm wondering if there's any point of sealing wax?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:31 AM

WP alone will give a fantastic shine and protection. If you must use wax it ALWAYS goes on last. The next time you use WP it will remove the wax so it's pointless to wax at all. Just do WP twice in a row the first time for positive coveragethen as needed after that.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 PM

Yeah that's what I thought, so I WP it yesterday, nice stuff, I used something like that but thicker so I couldn't spray it, but this works very good.
And my tip is, dry your car well cause it causes additional smears. I have no garage so did that on fresh air; right after rain I washed the car, dried it and WP it . I did that once only. No difference in look cause it's a new car, but it creates a great protection film which would help with cleaning and washing, water repealing etc. I think it's worth buying.
cheers

Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

does anyone know anything about x-coat? http://www.x-kote.com/

Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 PM

X - Kote is in Canada only for now and sold as a franchise only. It is quite remarkable but costs big bucks to get on the wagon.

Quick Reply: Wet Paint & Wax?