DIY Answers. This section is for the staff of HAF to post detailed DIYs in response to the requests by the members.

battery charger put on wrong, what damage can I expect

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:23 PM
jddavis16
Unregistered
Default battery charger put on wrong, what damage can I expect

I bought a 95 accord 4dr for my daughter. Car didn't want to start, jump started it and drove it a while thinking that would recharge the battery. Car would not crank so I jump started it again and brought it home. Put an old battery charger on it. Clamps have long ago lost the colored plastic and I inadvertinatly crossed polarity. Now when I turn the key on I do not get any lights such as alt, etc. The light in the door does light when the door is opened. What damage may I have done? Help. Thanks

Jim Davis

Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

First things first, check the battery fuse in the engine bay fuse box. I think it's 100 amps or something. Make sure all the main fuses are not blown and replace any fuses that are blown. Then try to crank it.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Try swapping in a different battery. Got any battery? If it doesn't fit the tray, just hook up the cables (the right way, please). Cross your fingers; it's possible you damaged the battery & not the car.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Exclamation Use Caution

You more than likely cross polorized that battery and will have to get a new one..Take it to Auto Zone and have it checked out 1st before you do anything else to the car...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-27-2009, 09:57 PM
jddavis16
Unregistered

I checked all the fuses and they were ok. Then I jump started it, noticing that all the lite cluster lit up before I cranked it up. Took the battery out and took it to Auto Zone and it tested defective. New battery installed and everything seems to be working. Odd tho, after replacing the battery, I did not have to key in the anti theft code into the radio. Thanks for the input. I was afraid that I may have wiped out the computer.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jddavis16
... I was afraid that I may have wiped out the computer.
Well, that CAN happen when you reverse the battery. Good thing it didn't happen this time.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Talking Right On Member

Originally Posted by jddavis16
I checked all the fuses and they were ok. Then I jump started it, noticing that all the lite cluster lit up before I cranked it up. Took the battery out and took it to Auto Zone and it tested defective. New battery installed and everything seems to be working. Odd tho, after replacing the battery, I did not have to key in the anti theft code into the radio. Thanks for the input. I was afraid that I may have wiped out the computer.
Your Welcome Sir:
All us folks in here are more than Happy to help a member out..you do the same some day for one of us...