DIY Answers. This section is for the staff of HAF to post detailed DIYs in response to the requests by the members.

92 Blower Motor & Speed-control Resistor

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Nughuffer
Unregistered
Default 92 Blower Motor & Speed-control Resistor

New to the forum. Ive replaced the blower motor module in my gf's 92 EX with AC and it is still not working. After searching and reading Ive come to the conclusion that I have 2 problems. First being that I only have power to the blower motor power connection with the switch on high. This leads me to the blower resistor but I dont know where it is, what it looks like and how to fix/replace it. Second, even with the switch on its highest setting the blower will not run. I took the module apart and with the power to the motor, switch on high and hitting the motor with a hammer it will intermittently run, but not for long. So the junkyard motor I bought is also bad. My main concern at this point is the resistor. I have a 30 day replacement on the module itself so that's not a problem. Can anybody shed some light on this issue for me? Possibly a pic of said resistor or any fixes or workarounds? I need to either fix, bypass, or replace this part ASAP. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

#8 is the blower speed-control resistor.

I never owned a '92 so I don't know how many trim panels have to be removed to reach it.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Nughuffer
Unregistered
Lightbulb

Thanks for the Diagram!
Ok Ive fixed this thing. The original motor has a bad resistor. The first salvaged module had a bad motor. Alot of troubleshooting went on before I actually knew what the resistor was, including taking both completly apart and switching parts around. Switch is in good order. The reason I was only getting power on high while testing with the meter is because I only had the power plug hooked up. I didnt know the resistor was actually the 5 pin connection attached to the module. I thought it was a thermostat or something similar. Duh.

So for future reference on 90-93 Accords:

White/gray plug is the stepper motor that changes from fresh to recirc
2 Pin Red plug is power and ground to the motor itself
5 Pin Red plug is the 626 9k ohm resistor.

To correctly test the resistor, you have to take voltage measurements at the different resistor pins with both the red connections in place. Key on and the switch tested in all different positions. Kind of a PITA because you basically have to pull the module out and its not really worth the amount of time it would take to test/find what you need. You can also run a 12V test circuit directly to the motor to make sure it works. Since the motor is in the middle of the module, if its determined faulty it needs to be completly removed for the car, the module taken apart. Not worth the time if you ask me.

The resistor can't be repaired if its faulty. To change the resistor you have to pull the module from its mount and tilt it down towards the floor. Its located in the left side top of the module close to the heater core module. There are 2 phillips screws that hold it to the module as well as a metal bracket. Slide the metal bracket down and pull the resistor up through the top of the housing. It may be easier just to find a salvage yard blower module that is complete. I dont know if many salvage yards would even know what to look for let alone pull it for sale by itself. I only paid $35 for the complete assembly. Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent detail about what you did! That will help others who find this thread by searching.

I copied this over here into the DIY forum because it's a pretty good instruction for this job.

Last edited by JimBlake; 12-14-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Nughuffer
Unregistered

Internet forums like this one have saved me more money, more time and given me more ideas than I could ever begin to count. People helping people, its what its all about right? With the gf's 92 pushing 350k Im sure I'll be back. Cheers