Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

[FAQ] 7th Gen Strut Bar Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default [FAQ] 7th Gen Strut Bar Installation Guide

Intro: Hello, hello. 03Sleeper here bringing HAF another 7th gen aftermarket install...this time the front strut bar. The strut bar is T6061 Alumnium with a White CF finish bought from EBay. Don't worry though...it fit perfectly...no bending, no cussing, etc.

Tools: Socket wrench (9/16" socket bit aka 14 mm), Brute force (you) [I had a pretty cool adjustable wrench...that violated the righty tighty, lefty loosey rule. It became righty loosey, lefty tightey. Maybe I'm just socket wrench incomptent.]

Two bracket assemblies, one strut bar.

Step 1: Put the parking brake on. Pop the hood. Go to where your strut brace/tower is. The two outer washers is what we want to remove at this point.

Step Two: Install the two brackets. I suggest you screw on lightly one part of the strut bar itself...it's rather heavy because of your point of engagement. Using the stock washers, tighten into position...not all the way. This is the right side [The easier side...just move that cable a bit for the bracket to fit.

Bracket assembly installed.

Here comes the more challenging part and requires a little brute force. The removal of the washers is the easy part. Putting on the bracket in that position is the hard part. I suggest you slide/slot the upper part of the bracket into the bolt first. Then remove the bolt holding the two metal tubes together and gently lift up on the metal tubes. Slide the lower part of the bracket to the bolt...or close to it. Then using the end of your wrench or screwdriver, lightly tap down to ensure proper fitment. Sorry about the images...it was getting dark.

Step Three: Next, install the strut bar itself. If you were smart and installed one end of the strut bar, good for you! If not, it's ok. You just have to remove one bracket...screw in the bar, then screw it into the other bracket, reinstall the bracket and place the washers on the bar so the fitment is tight. Then tighten the bolt that is on the bracket itself. Do that on both sides.

Step Four: Tighten any remaining bolts and check everything is working order. Make sure the brackets are in contact with the tower with a flat bottom.

Matches the engine bay quite nicely...although I wished it was jet black.

Notice the bolts: Two on the tower and one on the bracket assembly needs to be tightened. Times two. (One on each side). I get better pictures in the afternoon.

Conclusion: Total Time: 20 minutes. I was being dumb so I had to relearn how to use a socket wrench. I still don't understand how rightey = loose and lefty = tighten but whatever. Yes it's an eBay strut bar but it's real solid, heavy, and wide. In short, just what a strut bar should be. It's like the people who purchase Bomz CAIs or SRIs and get the same effect as someone who purchases an AEM or Injen. As you can tell...the CF finish is just crud. You need to go up real close to notice it and when you do, you know it's a fakie. But from a distance, it appears to be a respectable strut bar. Great finish and polish! Cornering, sharp turns, and weaving abilties all have increased tenfold. It's amazing what a bar can do for the engine in its elimination of body lean. Overall, a worthy addition to anyone's car!

Old 04-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Default RE: [FAQ] 7th Gen Strut Bar Installation Guide

I call upon the mighty powers of deserthonda to copy this to the 7th gen DIY.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Thx 03Sleeper, this may be the next purchase for my baby. and its great to know how to do it before i go and do it. Thx again and Go 7th Gen's

Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM

No problem. Anything to further the cause of the 7th gens.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Is this the strut bar you used?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT...20256642QQrdZ1

Old 04-25-2007, 11:06 AM

Yep.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Testiment #1

Turn (about 60 degrees) onto intersection at 45 mph....tires were squealing (4 years old...OEM Michelins) but I didn't even feel the body shift one bit. Definately worth my money on the product. By accident, I shifted down to 1 too...my elbow hit it. I was surprised at the sound because I seriously thought the car was just taking another bank turn...just another day at the office.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: bssmagik83

Is this the strut bar you used?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT...20256642QQrdZ1
That link didnt work for me, got another one that works?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:49 PM

I guess they ran out....?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 PM

Is this the only suspension related mod you've done? How much was it? It looks very appealing.

Quick Reply: [FAQ] 7th Gen Strut Bar Installation Guide