Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

Purpose of the DIY Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default Purpose of the DIY Forum

What is the purpose of this forum? Originally this forum was for DIY procedures that people can look up. Sort of like a reference section that admins would only be able to post on or copy useful threads into. For any technical/DIY help, the General Tech forum was the spot to post.

Do you guys think that having two identical forums is useful? I'm not even sure that the DIY forum can be set up like the old DIY section before the upgrade (only admins could post on there).

More importantly...

DesertHonda put up a lot of useful information on here and now its at the bottom of the forum. Also, the default viewing is set to threads over the last month, so nobody ever sees them. Can an admin set this forum to show all threads from the beginning and also sticky all of desert's threads, so they are easily viewable from the top?

Old 07-10-2009, 02:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I've always thought the "requests and answers" approach was useless and I still don't understand the concept. Everytime I've ever gone in there looking for something I always get lost and give up.

The threads over the last month is something you can change, it's in User CP -> Edit Options I think...

Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent question!

Recently the DIY forum has become another "general tech problems" area. Maybe we should move those threads over to the actual General Tech board. I'm sure it's confusing to newbies trying to decide where to post their questions.

(I guess that means me & moderators, you 2 guys can't move threads, huh?)

I can sticky Desert's threads (& other good ones), so gradually I'll try to do that stuff. I don't know whether I can make this forum read-only for normal users.

I'll pose the question in the Moderators forum (where you guys can't see)

Old 07-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by finch13
The threads over the last month is something you can change, it's in User CP -> Edit Options I think...
I changed that on my profile and it works. The default setting is to use the forum's default setting.

I thought that maybe a moderator could change the forum default setting to show all threads, because I will refer people to some of Desert's threads in the DIY that do not show up by default.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:40 AM

we need to clean this up,, move and then remove every threads that does not belong here ,,this should be only as a search for help

I might be one of the few or the only one feeling this way but here is my 2 cents worth........

No offense to anyone,( Admin, mods) , but i feel that the DIY section is a mess ,when i try to find a write up to send to a member asking a question i am having a hard time finding it ..again it might be just me , i have not been around as much since the changes took place .but i feel that it was a lot easier to find DIYs before ... i be honest ,on a few occasions i just gave up , too hard to find a DIY even though i knew it was there cause i wrote it ..

if it is this hard to find DIYs , members are not going to look in there , it is easier for them to just write a post for help , there or in the general section ..

I feel that the DIY section should be ONLY for DIRECTIONS write ups on how to fix an issue , so if a member is got a question they can look in there first ,, Also i feel that it would be soooooo much easier to find info in the DIY if it was in alphabetic order ..Also i noticed that some of the links no longer work, Moderators might want to remove all the broken links

Administrators should make it so members WOULD NOT BE ABLE to post questions in the DIY section this would make it too clogged up ( AS IT IS NOW ) and harder to navigate ..make it so only MODS can post in the DIY section ,, if a member is got a write up, let a MOD know about it and the MOD can post it ..this would also cut out all the spammers in there as i have seen a few ...

,, Members should be told that the DIY section is only be for a search for fixes ,,,,,,,question for help should be asked in the proper section,, ( general help, detail, tires wheels etc ,etc )

Well there it goes , i hope i won't get hammered for speaking my mind honestly ..

Last edited by deserthonda; 08-02-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:08 PM

I have removed a lot of posts which i thought that did not belong in here but belonged in other appropriate sections

MEMBERS PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTION IN THE DIY SECTION ,, this is a reference section,,

IF I FIND A POST WITH A QUESTION IN THIS SECTION ... I WILL REMOVE IT

Thank-you for your cooperation
Gianni

Last edited by deserthonda; 08-23-2009 at 08:16 PM.