General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DIY to other DIY > how to open door when both handles aren't working

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 PM
markus9175
Unregistered
Default DIY to other DIY > how to open door when both handles aren't working

99 Accord coupe

I'm unable to open my driver's side door from the inside or outside. Currently the door is shut. I beleive something on the inside, behind the door cover has malfunction. Can someone tell me how to perhaps remove the internal door covering and popping open the door with the least amount of damage to my door covering.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Jimbo123
Unregistered
Default door problem

i believe that you should start by removing the drivers seat to gain access, remove any screws or fasteners on the exterior (what you see) of the door card, then you will have to pop the clips out of the door,that hold the door card on. There will be 4-6 of them around the bottom and sides and possibly one in the middle. after that lift up on the door card and release it from the bottom of the window jamb. now just peel back some of the plastic behind the door handle and examine, it could be the handle it self being broke, or maybe just a rod has popped off. but check it out, it may be difficult to do due to the door being stuck closed, i have never removed one from the inside so good luck.

hope that helps, may give you somewhere to start at least.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Ted the Tech
Unregistered
Default door won't open w\ either handle?

just today dealt w\ '98 civic ex - same issue at my shop; there is no way to remove inner door panel w\o damage. I found I could use a wedge to spread the outer panel away from window opening enough to remove the two bolts that hold the outer door handle(extremely difficult!)and remove it to gain access to the door catch mechanism. after much ado I found that the catch
mechanism was in fact broken in such a way that the only way to get the door open was to basically destroy the catch to gain access to the 1\8" pin that releases the hasp that engages the door striker loop.it seems there is this bar-type stamped steel part that has a folded notch in it that pulls this 1\8" pin when the lock allows the bar to engage it;what happens is through fatigue and no lubrication the projection that engages the pin breaks off and falls in such a way that it prevents the pin from travelling enough to release the catch. I only discovered that after I cut away enough of the steel plate and plastic housing to see what was wrong...not something the average diy-er could probably handle.seek prof. help!!!