Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

TAS auto rotor over hub big brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up TAS auto rotor over hub big brake conversion

DIY thread on rotor over hub conversion was closed, so I just wanted to post here that I installed one of the TAS Auto rotor over hub, big brake conversion kits on my 94 Accord LX 4 dr recently.

This probably sounds like overkill, but I purchased this car with unknown miles on it, but what is clear is that it had a LOT of miles on it... LOL.

I had replaced the front right wheel hub bearing about a year previously and while having an alignment performed, the shop felt there was more play in the bearing than normal. It was not a Honda bearing and while it had another month or so of warranty, it is such a PITA to replace, that I decided I wanted to go with original Honda bearings instead of getting another after market bearing warranty replacement.

The front left wheel bearing had started to make noise and I had also noted previously that at times, I felt the front brake calipers had been sticking, causing excessive and uneven pad wear up front.

So, lookng at the options... wanting to replace both front wheel bearings with Honda bearings, wanting to replace both ancient front calipers, I decided the TAS Auto big brake conversion kit offered pretty good value overall and had the plus of allowing the rotor over hub conversion to ease future brake and front end work, while utilizing all Honda brake, wheel bearing and wheel hub parts.

The conversion went pretty smoothly. I had to take the front steering knuckles to a machine shop to get the old hub/wheel bearing pulled, but otherwise was able to peform all tasks myself.

My only "complaint" about the entire thing was the packaging of the kit itself. At first I didn't even believe I had received all parts as it was a very compact box to be receiving two complete front wheel bearing/hub assemblies (already assembled), two new calipers, two new caliper mounting brackets, two new brake rotors, new front brake pads for both sides and all new brake pad hardware, clips, etc. The box was partially split open on one side as well.

All the parts were indeed there however. Virtually no packing material had been used, but most things appeared intact. I was missing one of the small bleeder fitting rubber caps and some relatively superficial damage was apparent on some parts of the new brake rotors. No rotor surface damage was visible in the area swept by the pads, so I don't believe it was of any consequence.

Nothing looked serious so I proceeded to install the kit (which also comes with zero instructions). No real issues were encountered other than the holes in the rotors that accept counter sunk screws that were provided to hold the new disk rotors to the new wheel hubs did not align with the threaded holes in the wheel hubs. I opted for the drilled rotors, so these were not Honda rotors and in hind sight, I might have opted for the standard rotors after having done all this. The fact that these screws were not utilized is not of much consequence, as it is more a convenience factor of holding the rotors in place when the calipers are removed for servicing. The wheel lugs themselves normally secure the brake rotor as well as the wheel to the wheel hub.

The brakes are fantastic now! All front end bearing noise is gone and after initial brake pad burn in and caliper bleeding, the brake performance is excellent and much more consistent than before. Pad wear so far seems very even and no pulling has been experienced any more.

I highly recommend these conversion kits for anyone still wanting to do a rotor over hub conversion! The compatible Honda parts are getting harder to find and this was a very simple one order method to get everything needed. Considering the use of Honda parts throughout, I also think the various kits are of very good value as well. I'm confident any future brake work on the front end will also be minimal and far easier to perform.

I give it at least 4.5 stars, out of 5 stars. If it had been a little better packaged for shipping and if there had been any instructions to explain what brake clip/accessories were correct for the supplied calipers/brake pads... it would have easily been a 5 star rating!

I didn't mention it above, but if you do go the route of using the larger rotors, be sure you have 15 inch wheels, or be prepared to upgrade to that size. I had already done this when I first purchased the car, so it was a non-issue for me.