Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1997 Honda Accord...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Default 1997 Honda Accord...

I need to put a new thermostat and coolant temperature sensor in the car (so says the Auto Zone diagnostic machine).

But at first, I plugged the coolant temp sensor into the wiring for the fan sensor (curious that they had the same plug type). And the fan turned on.

Do I need to get a new fan sensor too (There are two, I plugged it into the one in front) or will putting in the new coolant sensor make the fan turn on when it is supposed to? By the way, this was within 10 mins after I turned the car off. I assume the fan was supposed to be on anyway... will replacing the coolant temp sensor and thermostat fix it, or do I need new fan sensors? Also... I'd like to make this car faster. Yeah it's an old Honda (LX) but I think it has a V-TEC engine (after a little lag, gets speed quick). I think a new intake would improve that one or so second delay. Then I could work on the exhaust or maybe a supercharger or...

Also, it has 165,000 miles on it and it is an automatic. Is it worth doing this work to the car, or should I just ditch it? Before the heating issue, it ran perfect. And as it looks, it will be a simple fix.

By the way, I'm in college. I'm not looking for a sportscar but I'd like a bit more speed and faster pick up, as well as better gas mileage... and better looks. Maybe a low mount spoiler... for looks only, I know it won't do anything for performance.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default RE: 1997 Honda Accord...

I think only EX has VTEC. If your car somehow did have a VTEC I really doubt you'll feel when it kicks in.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:57 AM

We need to know the year, trim, and engine in your car. I see you already said its an automatic. Put this info in your signature like mine below.
I see the subject line says it's a 1997, but you still needit in a signature so other members don't have to hunt for the info.

AutoZone's diagnostic computer is not always correct when it comes to Hondas. You need to get them to tell you the exact codes it is throwing and post them here.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 AM

What happened that led you to taking it in? What issues were you having?

Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: QGunner2

I need to put a new thermostat and coolant temperature sensor in the car (so says the Auto Zone diagnostic machine).
The auto zone diagnostic machine ??? what exactly is that ???the code reader ??
I am not aware of a machine that tells you that the fan is not working and need to replace the sensor..
like it was asked ?? what exactly is the symptom ?? from what you said i am assuming it is a 4 cyl engine , correct ?? only 1 fan turned on ?? was this while car was running or after car was shut off ??
please input as much info as you can ,, it will make it easier for everyone to help you out faster ...

Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 PM

Yes... the diagnostic machine. You know, the engine light comes on, you take it in...

1997 Honda Accord LX. 4 cylender automatic.

It overheated. Then the check engine light came on. This was while my sister was driving it. Then the check engine light came on.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:57 AM

You need to get the exact codes. The AutoZone scan tool is a "universal" application and is often incorrect when attempting to diagnose a Honda. The code it reads will be correct, but the explanation AutoZone gives is often wrong - I learned this the hard way.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:38 PM

I have to go to a Honda mechanic to fix it anyway... damn Honda engineers put the coolant temp. sensor under the side of the engine under the distributor so it's impossible to reach. Plus the thermostat takes a special tool to get to.

So, a free job to help a friend turned into $150 for a mechanic to do it. And all because he doesn't have the tools to work on a Honda. He can build and rebuild any car, he has a 1972 Chevelle 454 he rebuilt, and because of stupid design he can't fix this car.

So much for all the upgrades I want to do, will take a while for the intake.

So Friday I go to the mechanic... the thermostat I am glad I am replacing, even if that isn't the problem. Why? Because I got a performance one... it will run the engine about 20 degrees cooler. My heat won't work as well but I usually have the AC on even in the winter, so it's no big deal.

I will ask the mechanic if he can re-read the car for free. If it IS the fan switch and not the coolant temp sensor, then I will have him just install the thermostat and then I'll have my friend install two fan switches. Those we can get to easily. I can return the coolant temp sensor if I need to, I saved the receipt.