Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2005 Accord Intermittent Start

Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2005 Accord Intermittent Start

Is it still under warranty?

Just to head off a wild goose chase, the main relay is a common problem when the interior gets real hot. But the main relaywon't interrupt power to the starter motor. So you've got something different going on.

I like the observation about turning the key a little farther. That points to a flaky ignition switch. That's not unknown in Hondas.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Default RE: 2005 Accord Intermittent Start

You can start the car in Neutral, too, so that might be worth a try. I suspect it won't work any better, but if it does, you have some useful information toward solving the problem. Just make sure you keep your foot on the brake, since the car might roll if it's not on level ground.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM

I am currently having the same problem. It's a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L V6 engine. It does the same exact thing (even putting more pressure when turning the key seems to work some of the time). It is currently at a Honda Dealer getting the diagnostics test. It came up with nothing. They were hoping that it would do the *not starting thing but it hasn't done it. They're keeping it overnight to hopefully see if it'll do it tomorrow. He "thinks" it may be the starter. It may be weak or have a short in it. Definitely not the fuel pump, ignition, or the main relay. I'll keep you posted if I change the starter and it solves the problems.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Default Any update?

Originally Posted by philmaine View Post
I am currently having the same problem. It's a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L V6 engine. It does the same exact thing (even putting more pressure when turning the key seems to work some of the time). It is currently at a Honda Dealer getting the diagnostics test. It came up with nothing. They were hoping that it would do the *not starting thing but it hasn't done it. They're keeping it overnight to hopefully see if it'll do it tomorrow. He "thinks" it may be the starter. It may be weak or have a short in it. Definitely not the fuel pump, ignition, or the main relay. I'll keep you posted if I change the starter and it solves the problems.
Any new posts on what the problem was? I'm having the same issues.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Default 2005 Honda Accord 2.4

Have you tried disconnecting the battery? My Honda periodically decides not to start. It doesn't matter what temp it is, it just won't turn iver, no click no nothing. I disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and boom, it works fine until the next instance, which could be a day or 3 weeks... I have no idea where to start to fix it, so I just leave it. My rear brake light wire is dead, don't know if that's part of the problem creating a short or not. Anyways, god luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Accord Intermittent Start

Advertising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.