Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

3rd waterpump this year - 93ex

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 3rd waterpump this year - 93ex

Alright I bought this car about 4 months ago and one of its selling points was it had a new timing belt and water pump. So all is good and about 2 months ago I had to have the water pump replaced. Shop said it shouldn't of failed but it did. Oh well paid a good chunk of change for it and its warranty. Now last Friday I am seeing it leaking again from the waterpump. I know I wont have to pay anything for this repair but I am kind of wondering how I could have had 3 pumps fail in 10 months and only driving the car about 1000 miles in that time. Is there a break in period or something that I might not be doing to cause these issues. The pumps are remans so I don't know if thats why.

Im taking the car in on wednesday but Id like to get this fixed once and for good if anyone could give me some advice before hand.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I see several possibilities:

1) Poor quality water pumps. This may be possible, but a water pump is very simple and forum not had reports of significant problems w/ aftermarket water pumps. OEM is not too expensive, so consider this next time.

2) Improper installation. Possible use of sealants where only an oring is required causing leaks. Damaged bolt (twisted off and missing) resulting in improper bolting force on water pump. They won't tell you this as you would insist on bolt repair!

3) Corrosion causing leaks from other than water pump but near water pump(cross-over pipe).

A small amount of "weepage" is considered acceptable as water pump ages, but should not happen w/ a new pump.

good luck