Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

89 engine swap question

Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 89 engine swap question

I bet it's not the signature, really. You explained the years & everything in your post. The ranting about the signature is mostly for people who don't evey say what car they're asking about.

So... I bet that particular swap is justnot a combination that anyone's done. I've never had an '89 so I don't really have a clue...

Probably the wiring harness in the '89 (from engine bay to interior) is all different? It seems like an awful lot of work vs. fixing up the '94.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

One thing is they're completely different engine architecture. 1989 had the A20 while '94 had F22. Way different, probably need lots of fabrication for engine mounts, etc.

It looks like the trannys won't swap (easily). Configuration for bolting up to the engine is different.

Here's the clutch housing for an '89:

And here below is the one from a '94...

Old 05-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I really hope someone chimes in who knows their way around the engine bay of an '89...

With fab&machine tools, that'll help. Those pictures are viewed from opposite sides, too. The bellhousing of the '94 is facing away. I have to kinda guess where bolts & stuff need to go. Still it seems like you could find a '93-'97 5-speed trannyeasier than you could make an adapter plate. VTEC doesn't matter if you have the right range of years.

Shift linkages?? The newer Accords have cable shifters, so if the '89 also has a cable shifter, that would make your job easier. Cable-operated vs. hydraulic clutch? Exhaust will probably be custom since '89 won't bolt up to the engine, & '94 won't be the right length or path for the car.

Check out hondaautomotiveparts.com & put in the different years. (That's where I got those pictures.) Look at engine mounts, for example, to give you a general idea of how much work you're in for. Actually, you have the 2 cars (right?),so you can look at them in real life...

Look atALL the auxiliary junk in the engine bay of both cars. Just as a dumb example, will the '94 oil pan run into the '89 steering rack? You get the general idea... The '94 is a generally bigger car overall, so you might have to be creative tofit all the'94 stuff into an '89 engine bay.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

B-series engines will swap into earlier accords with minimal work. I know its been done, you'll just have to search for the info.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

But he's already bought a '94 with an F-series... Now he should go looking for an Integra or CRVengine?? Do you know how much extra work he's in for if he still wantsto use his F22?

Old 06-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

But he's already bought a '94 with an F-series... Now he should go looking for an Integra or CRVengine?? Do you know how much extra work he's in for if he still wantsto use his F22?
Well I'm assuming that the '94 runs and is drivable. If not, he's looking at a lot of custom work to put the F22 in his '89.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 engine swap question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.