Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

92 honda accord overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 honda accord overheating

Does anyone knows about overheating? I replaced thermostat radiator cap ect. I also put some head gasket repair. There is no signs of leakage. i got fans running 100 percent of the time. The car is good when sitting still soon as i start driving for like 2 mins the temp goes up. I was going to do the water pump radiator hoses next. But i want to know if anyone would know how to diagnose if it could be the water pump or something simple. I checked if the termostat opens up and it does. There is no milky oil. Oil level good. Before it used to overheat in the morning and not at night. Now It overheats at night. It used to go up and go back down a little but now it just stays up. I dont know what to do i dont want to change the water pump if thats not it. Any suggestions?? I also flushed the coolant system and filled it back up. This is getting annoying trying everything.

Last edited by Haze1092; 08-26-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Air trapped in cooling system can cause this symptom. Bleed air from bleeder on top of engine behind distributor w/ cold engine idling until only coolant is pushed out.

Head gasket can cause overheating as gas is pushed into system. A chemical test of the coolant will tell if combustion gas entering coolant system.

An aftermarket thermostat can occasionally fail out of box. OEM is best choice.

good luck

Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Your car like most also has what's called a coolant temperature sending unit also your t-state should have been replaced or reinstalled with the spring facing the engine and also the rubber seal over the thermostate.
Check that before you replace anything else.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i changed the water pump it wasnt it. the only thing left is the radiator and hoses. i turn on my heater it still doesnt go down. it takes a while to overheat during the day till i turn it off then it starts up on warm and overheats. no matter how long i let it cool down. at night it overheats faster. and when i stop at red lights it goes up to red. then i pull off and it goes down a little. if its not the radiator i dont know what else to do.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i did the coolant temperature sensor also

Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 AM

Is car losing coolant?

Did you check for combustion gases in coolant? A small leak can allow combustion gases to enter cooling system and cause overheating.

Check that lower radiaotor hose is getting hot. It it stays cool or warm, then coolant is not circulating (bad thermostat).

Did you check for trapped air in cooling system?

good luck

Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i dont see any coolant leaks it doesnt look like any lost of coolant. im changing the hoses and radiator and bleeding it becuase thats the last thing it could be if its not that then its something big. i replaced thermostat and it opens. so if its not the radiator/hoses/ or air it has to be something with head gasket or cracked engine.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

and how do i check for gases and coolant mixture?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 AM

There's a chemical test. See following link for explanation from Scotty Kilmer.

I found the leak test kit on ebay for $55.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 10-03-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

what if i have a little bit of unburned gas on my spark plug wires and the car is overheating all the way to h no misfire or anything the cel come on sometimes becuase i brought a cheap o2 sensor but im going to get a better one once i fix my problem but is this most likely a head gasket?

Quick Reply: 92 honda accord overheating