Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

95 accord temp gauge not working...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 95 accord temp gauge not working...

Hi I just bought a 95 honda accord ex. its got the 2.7L v6. It runs and drives awesome and has plenty of power! The only problem wrong with it is, it needs a new master cylinder which I have bought and need to put on. And the temp gauge does not read right. It only goes up to the bottom line and that's as far as it gets. I have done a little research on it and i'm guessing its a sensor. I just don't know what exactly to get. I figure you guys would probably be able to point me in the right direction...

Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well i found a temperature sensor on ebay but i'm not sure if thats what i will need for the gauge to work right... any info. would be awesome!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Supper Moderator

does the temp gauge ever read past that one point? like when you stop at a light does the needle move up any or just sit in the same place? If it does that it’s your thermostat. IF not then I would suspect the sensor

Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

It looks like #10 is the sender for the temperature gauge. It should have 1 wire.

Turn the car on (no need to actually start the engine, but the key should be in "RUN" position). Unplug the wire & touch it to ground while someone watches the gauge.

Watch the gauge begins to climb towards HOT, but don't let it get all the way up. Take the wire off of ground or you can fry the gauge. If that looks OK, then its probably a bad sender. The "proper" test for a bad sender is to put it in a pot of hot water along with a thermometer. Shop manual should have a table of resistance (ohms) against temperature.

If the true engine temperature never actually gets hot, then you probably have a stuck-open thermostat.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by g22cd5
does the temp gauge ever read past that one point? like when you stop at a light does the needle move up any or just sit in the same place? If it does that it’s your thermostat. IF not then I would suspect the sensor
no the gauge gets to that certain point and never changes until you turn it off and let it sit.. I'll check the thermostat.. and let you guys know..

Old 08-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake

It looks like #10 is the sender for the temperature gauge. It should have 1 wire.

Turn the car on (no need to actually start the engine, but the key should be in "RUN" position). Unplug the wire & touch it to ground while someone watches the gauge.

Watch the gauge begins to climb towards HOT, but don't let it get all the way up. Take the wire off of ground or you can fry the gauge. If that looks OK, then its probably a bad sender. The "proper" test for a bad sender is to put it in a pot of hot water along with a thermometer. Shop manual should have a table of resistance (ohms) against temperature.

If the true engine temperature never actually gets hot, then you probably have a stuck-open thermostat.
thanks for the info. I'm gonna go out now and check it out

Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok so instead of actually checking the thermostat.. i talked it over with my dad, and decided to drive the car and see if the top hose actaully got hot, and was just a little warmm. the car is getting hot, not overheating but hot.. and i might try the whole grounding the wire, but i'm still not sure how i'll know which wire is the right one.....

Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok so number 10 is on the water pump?

Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Supper Moderator

no #10 is on the thermostat housing

Old 08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the picture; #10 is on the thermostat housing, on the opposite end of the engine from the drive belts.

Quick Reply: 95 accord temp gauge not working...