Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

95 accord temp gauge not working...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

If you still cant find it, follow the lower radiator hose from the radiator and it will lead you to the housing. My sensor had an ugly green plastic base.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok i found it.. wasn't sure what it was on though.. i didn't know it was called a thermostat housing lol... I got a temp. sender and its still doing the same thing.. i do know that the previous owner put white faced gauge stickers?? on it.. he left the plastic on them though and I was wanting to eventually take the plastic off. i guess i'll just check the back of the gauge (i'm assuming there's probably a plug or some wires ran to it) and make sure everything is connected.

either that or i guess it could be a sensor?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
It looks like #10 is the sender for the temperature gauge. It should have 1 wire.

Turn the car on (no need to actually start the engine, but the key should be in "RUN" position). Unplug the wire & touch it to ground while someone watches the gauge.

Watch the gauge begins to climb towards HOT, but don't let it get all the way up. Take the wire off of ground or you can fry the gauge. If that looks OK, then its probably a bad sender. The "proper" test for a bad sender is to put it in a pot of hot water along with a thermometer. Shop manual should have a table of resistance (ohms) against temperature.

If the true engine temperature never actually gets hot, then you probably have a stuck-open thermostat.
I grounded the wire and the needle on the gauge moved..

If the engine never actually gets hot would the fans turn on?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I got the white faced gauges off.. i'm not sure if unplugging the plugs to get the cluster out or moving the gauge needle did it or not, but my temp gauge started working perfectly after I put everything back together...

Thanks for the info. given! I greatly appreciate it!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

You're lucky. It's REALLY easy to damage the gauges when putting on those gauge-face stickers.

And if the engine does not actually get hot, then the fans would ONLY turn on with the AC compressor. If you never get stuck in traffic, always moving down the road, it's very likely the fans will almost never run.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well I have kept an eye on the guage and it seems to be working fine. I notice then fans turning on while driving through town... again thanks for the info..