Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

96 Accord Throwing O2 Sensor Error

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 03:58 PM
duke16
Unregistered
Default 96 Accord Throwing O2 Sensor Error

I'm getting error number P0135, O2 Sensor 1, Bank 1, on a 96 Accord. Before going out and buying a new sensor is there anything else that could be causing the problem?

Also, where exactly is sensor 1 located?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Default RE: 96 Accord Throwing O2 Sensor Error

Hi Duke 16..
1St off let me welcome you to the New Member Forum..

I'm going to move your post to the help area but I want the other members to Recognize you as a new member 1st..

Thank You [sm=smiley32.gif] for joining..and I will answer you question in the other forum that I'm sending you off to..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Well Duke , here is some help for you...

Bank 1 on your 4cyl is the one in front of you when you looking at your engine, sensor 1 is the one before the cat converter.
Your P135 code can be caused by the oxygen sensor being defective of course, also you could have a poor connection st the oxegen sensor (bad plug), and there is a chance that your sensor hasn't been changed in the last 80,000 miles and just needs to be done. The sensor has an electrical check which most people dont want to do, but thats because it'd easier to Just Change It...

Again Thanks for joining the forums and I hope the answer helped you out...

WheelBrokerAng
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 03-05-2006, 05:54 PM
duke16
Unregistered

How exactly do I remove it? It looks like I need to get behind the heat shield, but to get the heat shield off I need to get the sensor off.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Hey Duke,
I have a 97 Accord and painted my heat shield black. The shield itself is easy to take off, if I remember correctly there should be 3 bolts. 2 are located at the top of the shield, and one is near the hole for the sensor. I recommend disconnecting the wires for the o2 sensor (theres a plug to the left of the heat shield) before removing the shield. After you get all the bolts out you will have to wedge and kind of force the heat shield off as its packed in there tightly. Hope that helped!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:24 PM
duke16
Unregistered

I removed all the bolts, and disconnected the sensor on the left. But I don't see the heat shield coming of without disconnecting the other end of the sensor first.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:15 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

When you say other end of the sensor, do you mean the actual sensor?
And, what model of Accord is this?

Ah yes, it does cause a problem here and there. To fix this, all you need to do is pull or push the wires through the heat shield so that no wires are passing through the hole in the heat shield (this will keep the wires from getting cut when you remove it). Next, the heat shield should begin to lift off and become loose which is good. When I took mine off, I tohught it would not come off either but it will, so dont be worried! Lastly, all you have to do is jimmy it out of there (but do be careful of the sensor). Pull more towards the left and then it should come straight up (there really isnt anything to damage by removing it). Sorry I dont have pictures to show you.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
duke16
Unregistered

Here's a picture of what I'm looking at. I can't seem to get enough movement out of the heat shield to get it around the sensor. The end of the sensor, the part that is in the heat shield, is to rigid to bend.

It's the LX by the way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3184/2C7D54E0E1E745E5A8FA725A503BE090.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-07-2006, 09:27 PM

You can remove the sensor without removing the shield. I use an O2 socket, or clip the wires (if I'm not reusing the sensor) and use a deep socket.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:13 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Hey Duke,
Mine is also an lx too. Well i'm not quite sure whats going on. How many miles does your Accord have? I guess the heat shield coould be somewhat stuck to the engine and thanks for the pic. When I removed mine I could pull the heat shield straight towards the front of the car (and it would be an inch or so away from the engine block and dangle on the headers underneath) , then I moved it to the left a litte (so the hard part of the sensor would not stick through the hole) and then I just wedged it up out of there. I hope that helps or you could do it 98accrd's way. But the heat sheild can be removed, it just takes a few tries (the first time I tried I didn't think it was able to come off either).

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 96 Accord Throwing O2 Sensor Error