Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

96 accord vti

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
sammytech
Unregistered
Default 96 accord vti

hey guys i have a 96 accord vti totally stock, looking to get a good bit of power out of it for pretty cheap.

any idea would be great
cheers

Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

We don't get the vti here in USA, so how about filling us in a bit?
Where are you? Maybe there's HAF members around there.
What engine does the vti have? F22 something something? H-series (DOHC?)

Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 AM

I've seen the VTi badge used here in NZ and Aus.
Similar spec to the EX model in the US.

F22B VTEC.

My mother has one.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 AM
sammytech
Unregistered

hey JimBlake sorry iam not to familiar with the terms over in the US iam in australia and have alot to learn about honda engines. Moppie can u help me at all with any mods i can do to my vti?
cheers

Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the badging (EX, LX, VTi, cdti, whatever) can change a LOT from one country to another. Even if the car itself is very similar.

I'm more fond of helping people figure out how to fix things. Don't really count my expertise as knowing what kind of wheels they installed on which version in what country.

There's a lot of people smarter than me about which mods are worthwhile.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 AM

I used to own an EF9 Civic, and was always amazed at the different variations of the EF platform that showed up around the world. The US models were completely different from the Japanese ones for example.

However, I am discovering that the 5th and 6th gen Accords are pretty much the same where ever you are in the world.
I believe all the body shells and engines were made in the US only, and either exported as complete cars (like my US Wagon) or as CDK, like my mothers Accord.
This means there is very little variation, other than some badges and paint colours.

Anyway, sammytech, the more I read here, the more it appears there is very little you can do to an Accord to make it faster.
It's not like a Commonwhore where you can just swap in a V8, or a buy an off the shelf super charger, or even get a some noticable gains from exhaust and intake work.

The F22B is already making respectable amount of power for what it is, and to get any more requires a custom turbo install, or opening it up and working on the head and cam.
The existing intake and exhaust is already fully capable of providing and removing enough air and exhaust for the current cam and head flow. Changing these to aftermarket ones will not have any effect on performance, but will make the car sound different.

It looks like the best way to improve performance is to swap in an H22 from a Prelude, since Honda did this themselves to make the SiR and Euro R models it is not that hard to do.
Here in NZ it is not worth even doing that, as you for less money you can simply go out and buy a Japanese spec SiR, Type R or Euro R.
Not sure if you get many Jap imports in Oz though??

A set of springs and shocks would help with the handling though. That could deffinitly use some tightening up.
Hiding under the family car ride is a very good suspension set up.