Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

98 Honda Accord Engine or Electrical Problem!!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 98 Honda Accord Engine or Electrical Problem!!??

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Depending on TRIGGA's VIN, is it possible he's not entitled to the recall you're talking about??
Could be. Figured either way it would get the idea across......

Maybe the ignition switch is bad.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:46 AM

would the ignition usually cause these kind of probs?
I got the recall done a couple of months ago. The Interlock recall does not have anything to do with this prob. Only "P" Park etc.

would a bad ignition switch casue the engine to cut out and stall?

Old 10-12-2006, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Hasn't happened to me (yet) but I've heard Hondas are prone to flakyness in the electrical part of the ignition switch. Especially if there's lots of heavy keychains hanging on the keys. The ignition switch recall that was done on my '98 had nothing to do with that.

A bad ignition switch can certainly cause your problems. Whether it's covered for free under a recall is a different question.

Can you make it stall by wiggling the key? If so, that pretty much says it all. I think the lock-cylinder recall might help only a little, just because it reinforces the structure that holds the lock-cylinder straight & square & lined up with the electrical part of that switch.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 PM

I have same problem..car has never given me problems...except trans. its more of a problem on hot days than cold or cool days. lights on dash flicker...car stalls while im driving. tool it to dealer they sugested to replace main relay did it and no help i thought it was the ignition because if you sometimes gigle the key while its in the ignition the dash lights turn off car does start but car drives and acts kinda wierd not normal like something is wrong with trans but i got a new one so im sure its not that. anyway if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it..it is getting kinda dangerous... happened to me while i was traversing an intersection. lucky i wait till everyone crosses otherwise id be a pancake.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

You think it's the switch because it gets flaky when you wiggle the key... So did you replace the electrical part of the ignition switch?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:55 PM

ok more trouble shooting with dealer and one answer comes to mind distrib cap rotor and wires..they seam to think its a typical maintance prob. but until i replace everything noone knows

Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 PM

ok it was switch after 1000 miles not a hickup
thanks and it was right on thanks guys

Old 09-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So did you do the ignition switch?

Mine is still stalling out on me (of course when I'm in the intersection). Strange thing is it did the same scenerio when it really wasn't that hot out. I had it into the mechanics a few weeks ago (different problem and they hooked it up to the machine that lets you know why it's going MAINTENANCE!!) and they did a full check up on it and said it was in really good condition. Of course they couldn't get it to reproduce the stalling I've been getting.

I had called Honda Canada a few weeks ago and asked what had been done on the car in the way of recalls (hoping they would say ignition switch or SOMETHING). The guy was quite rude and said "I'm not showing anything on the screen which means there are no recalls for that vehicle". I reminded him that was not my question. It went downhill from there. So much for being polite. When I asked about the ignition switch recall, he said "you're only entitled to ONE recall". Thanks buddy!

For the hell of it I've been taking off all but 4 keys on the ring when driving. I thought this fixed the problem until yesterday when I was driving home and it did it to me again. In the back alley on the way to my apartment I tried to make the thing stall again by moving the keys around (even with some force and swinging) but nothing happened. *sigh* I'm seriously considering trading in the car and taking a loss on it.

Would it help if I narrow down which lights flicker on when it's happening? I know a couple of them come on.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

ORIGINAL: TRIGGA

The recall that i've done is only the ignition interlock. It has something to do with "p" Park. I dont' think it has anything to do with this
That's right, I think i mentioned that.

Has the ignition switch recall been done?
How many ignition switch recalls are out there for that car? I

there are 2 of them.........1,, for the interlock
the other ,, car dies while driving

Old 09-30-2007, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: mamarotta

ok it was switch after 1000 miles not a hickup
thanks and it was right on thanks guys
thanks for coming back and posting the fix .

Quick Reply: 98 Honda Accord Engine or Electrical Problem!!??