Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Is this an accurate assumption?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

VTEC switches in at different RPM depending on load. Sometimes at pretty low RPM.

But if the ECU was calling for VTEC and didn't get it, that should throw a CEL. Does your CEL work? (2-second bulb-check when you first turn the key ON)

Old 12-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SmAcurAccord
I was actually hoping for a bit of a different response then the whole "did you read the instructions first" type deal. I thank you for not referring me to the search bar however. So Kudos on that
Sorry if anything I posted seemed out of line to you.

Check/think about the things posted already.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm sorry poorman didn't mean to sound snarky. Just wish I had some Asian friends. My check engine light never comes on. I've had the car a few months and just noticed that a couple weeks ago. I Think the bulb was pulled. I did get it scanned almost a month ago any no codes were stored. That was prior to the valve adjustment. I'll get it rescanned tomorrow and report if you guys don't mind helping me out a bit more.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

CEL never comes on? Not even the 2-second bulb-check when you first turn on the key?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No 2 second bulb check on the dash Blake. Is it a paint to get behind the cluster to change? Can codes still be pulled if that light has been tampered with?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Yes, any codes will still be stored on the ECU.

Not 100% on the 6th gen, I know it's a bit of a PITA in the 5th gen. You have to remove the upper dash trim then pull out the gauge cluster to replace the bulb.

Speaking of ECU, didn't notice if you mentioned whether or not you reset it after your valve adjustment?

Last edited by CD5Accord; 12-06-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

6th generation Accord is relatively easier to replace the bulbs.

LEDautomotive.com - Gauge Cluster Installation Guide

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...accords-28650/

Like previously stated, the codes are stored in the ECM/PCM.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SmAcurAccord
I'll get it rescanned tomorrow and report if you guys don't mind helping me out a bit more.
We are here to try to help....so have it checked. If there are codes, get the actual code and not "their description", and let us know what it/they are.

At the same time, if there are no codes, let us know that as well.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ive got a code of P0141 rear oxygen sensor. I'm not sure if its reading at all or if anything else other than a bad sensor would cause that code. What might some typical scenarios be associated with that code? I'll do some research of my own as well. Thanks for any help

Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

And CD5Accord I cannot remember specifically if I reset the ECU after the valve adjustment. I did reset it about 3 days ago when I cleaned up my EGR valve. It always seems to run funny after it gets reset. its like somehow with the few things I've done to it has given it good mid range power but took away from its great high end power after about 4800 rpm. Seems gutless near redline where before she was just starting to clear her throat and wanted a higher redline.

Quick Reply: Is this an accurate assumption?