Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
E_nyce
Unregistered
Default Advice

am new here, so hello everyone..... I need advice about a car a friend is giving me. My friend has a 92 honda accord, the inside is in nice condition and the exterior is pretty nice as well. The car currently does not drive because some time ago someone tried to remove a spark plug when the engine was hot and damaged the threads on it so while the car was being driven one of the spark plugs came out. the car does need a new muffler as well. my friend was told he would need to replace the head, so am wondering is it worth it for me to fix this car? about how much should this run me? i was thinking of getting a head off ebay and having a shop swap it for me...

Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Default RE: Advice

you have a couple of options here. One is getting a new head of course. And if you're getting the car for free I'd do it. The head won't be that expensive just be sure to have it checked out and make sure it's not warped.

Option 2: there are "kits" that you can get to repair the threads for a spark plug. The kit is like $20.00 and works about 90% of the time. Labor will probably run you 2-4 hours depending on where you take it to. Or do it yourself and LOTS of people on here can walk you through head removal and re-installation.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:38 AM
Default RE: Advice

Yeah, you should be able to re-tap the threads unless some major damage occured. I don't think you'd need a new head unless something serious happend.

If it's free, how could you pass it up?