Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

After Changing My Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Default After Changing My Timing Belt

1992 Honda Accord LX 2.2L
F22A1, MPFI, SOHC 16-valve

I followed everything that the manual says and I've looked over everything twice so i'm pretty sure that i have my timing is right but that's not the issue im having. Before i started this whole project i completely took out the battery so i know nothing electrical could be fried. Now that i finished doing the timing belt and all i went to crank up the car and it WONT attempt to half way turn over. BTW the car did run before i started on this, that's why i'm so confused on why its doing this!!

I recorded the sound that it makes when i try to crank it up
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/...daaccordlx.mp3

Can anyone please help me to figure out why my engine sounds like this?

Last edited by atlsk8crewboi22; 04-24-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: missing information
Old 04-25-2009, 01:38 PM

I would try to rotate the crank pulley by hand (socket, extension, etc) and see how that goes. Let us know how that works out.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:12 AM

i can rotate the crank pully with no problem and still no progress...just to be sure i redid the timing belt and all and i still came out with the same results....i even pulled out the spark plug wires to see if that can be an issue but its not, it did the same thing...im so confused on what it could be

Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Good. Now then, the engine turns over but will not start. Is that correct?
If yes, you have 3 issues: spark, timing and gas - you need these of course. Check for spark - pull a plug and place it in contact with some metal and crank it to see the spark.
If you had the spark plug wires pulled make sure you have them in the correct order - firing order. The distributor was not pulled, correct?
When you pull the plug to check for spark; it should be wet from all that cranking, that'll tell the gas makes it there.
Another scenario is the engine will not turn over, just makes that noise. Is that the case?
That will point toward the battery, starter maybe. That's kinda what you're saying. Put a voltmeter on the battery, it should read 12V. I ussually put the meter on the hood to see it when I crank, and run the leads to the battery. When you crank you should see a drop to about 9.5 - 10V for a good/fully charged battery.
Let us know - there's specific troubleshooting for each.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:24 PM

ok ill try to get at it today...but i know i have the right firing order right and no i never touched the distributor..i have a rechargeable battery booster and i even tried that...but imma try the other options then ill let u kno what happen

so far i checked to see if there was gas making it to the spark plugs and it is so that eliminates the gas issue....
i dont have another person to help crank the car to see if i have a spark so ill have to figure out another way if possible

Last edited by atlsk8crewboi22; 04-26-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:49 PM

ok after having my friend come over and see what it could be i noticed something that i couldnt see when i was crankin the car myself....when i attempt to crank the car its turning slow so i think its either the battery or a dragging starter...what can cause a dragging starter?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:02 PM

sorry bout the double post lol my internet was being gay