Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

auto finnaly catching up with stick

Old 06-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Default auto finnaly catching up with stick

i think its begging to happen, automatics have advancted signifigantly over the years, now they come in 5 speeds sometimes even six, they dont have to have reaction times, proper clutch timeing so you dont grind, anyone else think autos are finnly catching up?

like for real, i have seen some wicked quick autos

Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: auto finnaly catching up with stick

hail the auto!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 PM

yeah i agree..auto trans today are really catching up... but i still prefer manual trans..

Old 06-30-2008, 10:23 PM

like look at my vid in my "how quick is the v6" post, thats an auto tranny, and im haulin @$$

Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 AM

Autos may be catching up on straight-line speed, but that's not really anything new when you look at how long muscle cars have been using autos for drag racing. Another benefit of auto is that on a turbo, you don't need a 2-step ignition for no lift shifting. The auto can keep the boost charge through gear changes since you don't need to lift the gas pedal (and engage the BOV).

On the other hand, a manual will always be able to approach and get through turns quicker because you can downshift and hold the clutch until you are ready to slow down, then leaving the turn, you are already in the lower gear. Autos can not compete in tight turns with a bit of space between them to build up speed.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:52 AM

very true...but with the manu-matics these days...its closing the gap.

EDIT- 6th gen v6 auto trannys are notoriously troublesome....once they die...you're screwed.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:54 AM

Autos may be catching uo in terms of speed, but the fun factor is still not there IMO. I still have my 91 mustang which is automatic and will go very fast, but I don't think it is very fun to drive because it bores me.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 PM

So let's sum it up into this.

Straight line - Auto

Anything involving turning - Manual

Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 PM

yeah..with me, i feel much more connected with the car when i drive a manual and therefore that makes it fun for me to drive the car..thats y i still prefer a manual trans..sadly my accord right now is an auto..i want to convert it to manual but i dont have the money so..ill do that next time when i get enough money to do that...=D

Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM

i agree auto's are catching up but manuals give you a little more control but now these cars are coming out with auto AND manual as a seperate option.. giving you the ability to up shift and downshift when you choose too...i like the auto trans but when it comes to gas mileage i'll take the manual...i know that there must be a HUGE difference between having auto and maual ina car and having just manual

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto finnaly catching up with stick