Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

beef up my engine

Old 10-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default beef up my engine

i have a 2001 accord coupe with the V6 J30A1 engine just need some helpful tips to help me squeeze those extra horses out of it the most popular thing i've seen is the supercharger but i don't have 2500 to spend on it that's half of what i bought the car for.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

I start with a bit of reading. I'd spend more time/money on tune up and maint items than trying to make more HP on that engine/trans combo.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

what do you mean by tune up? like a hyper chip?

Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, a tune up or even a "hyper chip" won't do anything for the power of your engine. I'll say pretty much the same thing to you as I say to most folks; if you want a faster car, then sell your car and buy a faster car, it will cost you thousands less than it would be to modify yours.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I would rather mod this vehicle than get a new one I am into cars and have to start somewhere in learning to mod cars

Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

A few comments about why modding your current car will be an almost complete waste of money, regardless of whether you're learning or not:
  • There are few if any aftermarket performance mods for your V6 motor, errr, at least mods which are A) reasonably priced, and B) actually provide a gain in performance.
  • Short of replacing the cams or even the complete cylinder head assemblies with those from an Acura TL (a "mod" which will yield a modest increase in power) there isn't much you can do for your engine.
  • Turbocharging, while possible, is an extremely expensive and time consuming custom process for your V6 motor.
  • In the unlikely event you do figure out how to make a meaningful modification to your engine, then you have the transmission to deal with. The automatic in your car is brittle to say the least, and many-many fail early and often even though the engine is bone stock. Bumping the power from 200 up to say 250 or even 300 WILL cause your car to eat transmissions as fast as a hungry bat eats bugs.
  • Last but not least, attempting to increase the performance of your car will destroy any resale value you still have; make the mods, watch the resale value drop like a rock, so much so that it will be difficult to get rid of even if you try selling it for $1.00.
I'll go back to my comment a few posts ago; if you want a faster car, sell yours and buy a faster car.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

well this forum was a bunch of help basically telling me that i bought a piece of s**t car and telling me to buy a new 1 thanks

Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Ummm, believe it or not, you have a very fine car (albeit with a somewhat weak transmission) which was designed by the extremely talented Honda engineers. That it isn't readily modifiable does not in any way mean it is a bad car, in fact, an argument can be made that it was so well designed that virtually all of the performance potential (short of forced induction) has already been realized.

The above said, if you really-really want an Accord to mod, you should have bought one with a 4-Cylinder motor and a manual transmission. Why?
  • Due to packaging efficiencies, by the very nature of the beast all Inline 4-Cylinder motors from pretty much all manufacturers are much-much easier to modify (especially so when you're talking forced induction) than V6 motors.
  • Manual transmissions are generally more robust than automatics, especially in the transverse FWD world, and this is definitely the case of the 2001 Accord.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb ** Hello Member **

Originally Posted by Brendanj810
well this forum was a bunch of help basically telling me that i bought a piece of s**t car and telling me to buy a new 1 thanks
He is just trying to let you know that spending a load of cash on that car will not render you a car with H.P. and Yes the transmissions are not the best ever put in a Honda to handle power more than what they were designed for.
So don't blame the Mod or the Forum for anything..just use the info so you don't spend youe hard earned money .

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails beef up my engine-thumbs%7E13.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
Ummm, believe it or not, you have a very fine car (albeit with a somewhat weak transmission) which was designed by the extremely talented Honda engineers. That it isn't readily modifiable does not in any way mean it is a bad car, in fact, an argument can be made that it was so well designed that virtually all of the performance potential (short of forced induction) has already been realized.

The above said, if you really-really want an Accord to mod, you should have bought one with a 4-Cylinder motor and a manual transmission. Why?
  • Due to packaging efficiencies, by the very nature of the beast all Inline 4-Cylinder motors from pretty much all manufacturers are much-much easier to modify (especially so when you're talking forced induction) than V6 motors.
  • Manual transmissions are generally more robust than automatics, especially in the transverse FWD world, and this is definitely the case of the 2001 Accord.
see this is a nice statement those prior posts just made me angry it sounded more like you were bashing on my car i am not taking it out on the forum it just sounded very rude earlier but this part was much more eye opening and helpful so thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: beef up my engine