Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Building Motor for Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Default Building Motor for Turbo

Alright, I have a 2nd F22B2 (thanks to sportsman1539. Drove from south florida to alabama in one day to pick it up. Drove back with the motor in my trunk. fun stuff!) that I want to build for a serious turbo motor. I want to build it to handle about 20 psi with no problems. Here's an incomplete list of things planned for it:

Forged pistons
Stronger Rods
Turbo Camshaft profile
Upgraded oil pump
Stronger head gasket
Stainless steel valves

Any suggestions? Right now, the project is on the drawing board since I'm trying to figure out how to make the strongest motor for the least $$$. It will be a fun project...

One issue that comes to mind is closing the deck. I don't think a block gaurd is the best answer. Is there a better way to go about that? Also, should I consider resleeving?

Old 05-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Building Motor for Turbo

upgrade the whole valvetrain, valves, springs, titanium retainers,
sleeve the engine, that will be the biggest help, and might as well bore it out in the process, the old saying there is no replacement for displacement. 2 or 3 mm's will get you up to a 2.4L but go for the largest safe bore as that pressure.
For the pistons have the compresson at 8.5:1 give or take.
block guards help because it gets rid of that potential shift in the cyl's that can happen under high stress.

then the obvious head, intake manifold and throttlebody work port and polish on all of those

Old 05-14-2006, 02:39 AM

There are these sleeves on f22parts.com that will actually turn the motor into a closed deck design (no block gaurd needed). I think they are 87mm and can be bored out even more. Only thing is the price which is like $900. But hey, I'll spend the money if it will get me where I need to be.

I have found some brass retainers, but I'll have to keep my eye open for titanium ones since I haven't seen those yet.

8.5:1 on the pistons is right where I want to be also. Man I can't wait to get this build going!

I will have to polish those intake parts for sure. That will definetly help things flow.

Any ideas on some good sites to get the parts?

Old 05-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

http://www.honda-performance.com/

http://www.jgenginedynamics.com/JGE%20main%20page.html

and always check local, if you can find a good machine shop locally you often can save a little bit of money on any custom fabrication, but that always depends on the machine shop