Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

a/c

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default a/c

hi all, i was wondering if someone could give me some advice about fixing my a/c. First of all I know that the clutch is not engaging, second my fan is not working i just replaced my radiator fan but sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doenst. so i don't know whats wrong there and for the a/c fan its not working at all. Does this have anything to do with the clutch not engaging. please help me figure out which parts i need so I can get started cause the reason i need to fix it is my wife just gave birth and enable for me to take the baby for a ride i need it cool in the car since its so hot out here. So any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

94 Honda Accord EX 4 dr.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

AC compressor will engage w/ one or both fans out. It's not a good idea to run AC w/ either fan out, but can be done as long as you avoid running AC when car is stopped.

Why is compressor not engaging? There can be a number of possibilities:

1) refrigerant level is too low and pressure switch disables compressor to protect compressor since inadequate refrigerant flow to provide lubrication (lubricant is carried by refrigerant).

Best way to check is w/ AC manifold gauge set. Check low side pressure w/ system off. Pressure should be approx. equal to air temp. If much lower than air temp the system is low on refrigerant (leak somewhere).

Alternatively you can disconnect pressure switch connector from switch and bridge the connections w/ a short wire jumper. Turn AC on briefly and see if compressor engages. If yes, the system pressure is too low (leak again).

2) Blower motor is open. This usually means blower brushes are gone. Easy to check. Does blower run when commanded? It should run w/ or w/o AC.

3) Compressor fuse, relay, or coil has failed. Check for power to the clutch coil w/ AC commanded. If power is available, then coil is suspect. Check resistance of coil. It should be ~ 3 ohms (near short). If open (infinite resistance), the coil is bad. New coil or compressor is needed.

Suggest going to the Online Manuals DIY links and download the 94-97 Accord manual to help guide your work. Lot's of good info.

good luck

Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks a lot for the great info, im gonna get started as soon as i can there are things you mentions which i do not know, parts wise but i'll do some research on what those are. If i ran into more trouble i'll let you know. Thanks again, i'll check right away.

One thing i do not get is when i replaced my radiator fan, is that sometimes the fan runs and sometimes it doesn't i would notice my temp gets higher. Sometimes it'll run with no problem.

Last edited by ccnicco48; 11-16-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Whenever engine is running, both fans should engage w/ AC or w/o AC to reduce coolant temp. If one fan is not running when other is running, it's likely the non-runner has bad brushes which can lead to intermittent behavior.

A good site for AC help is autoacforum.com.

good luck