Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Default A/C

Honda Accord 98 Ex.... A/c works but it is not cooling. Tried putting freon and it still doesn't want to get cold ....tips advice can it be the compressor?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is the compressor clutch plate closing?

If not, problem is most likely electrical.

If compressor is engagin, have you attempted to measure system pressures w/ a AC manifold set? Hi and Lo side pressures are needed,...if compressor is engaging.

good luck

Old 03-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Talking Hi Member

Are you sure your R-134A isn't leaking out as your putting it into the conditioner.?

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails A/C-custom_logo.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 PM

appreciate it TEX i would have to research that to fully understand you. Also I dont know if this would make a difference when it comes to it being electrical..when I turn the temperature to WARM (RED) it heats up but then when I turn it counter clockwise to cold (blue) it just throws out room temperature air when it should be throwing out ICY COLD AIR and its not any other suggestions?? I appreciate the help

Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM

You can see/hear the clutch engaging. W/ engine on turn AC on, and watch/isten. The clutch makes a noticeable click when it engages and you'll see the center face of the compressor begin to spin.

First step to repair is determining whether clutch is engaging.

good luck

Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

And PS-both cooling fans should "kick" on when the AC compressor is running.

4 or 6 cyl, manual or auto climate control?

Sorry, I'll leave it for TX from here

Old 03-04-2012, 02:27 PM

Tx..... I went ahead with the engine on turn the A/C to 4 which would be all the way up and there was a clicking noise indicating the clutch is fine...

Old 03-04-2012, 05:04 PM

If you're sure the compressor is engaging (loud click from under hood), then problem is likely low charge (leak). To confirm, you will need to have the AC system pressures taken w/ an AC manifold gauge set to get system hi/lo pressures.

Likely sources of leak are compressor shaft seal, hoses, connections, and last evaporator or evap connections.

Unless you intend to diy (not recommended unless you have some repair experience), then find a shop specializing in AC repairs (check angie's list, craigslist, etc). I like Angies List as you can get feedback from previous customers.

If AC charge is low, don't be tempted to recharge and move on. It will leak down again, and possibly take compressor down also next time.

good luck