Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Can you identify this part?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Can you identify this part?

So I got in a few accidents (not my fault at ALL) this year, and once the body shop was done with my car (long story, but they did a crap-tastic job) I started noticing a loud knocking coming from just under the e-Brake.

I take it back, and they tell me that it's a "Vibration Dampener" or a "Sound Dampener"....

I haven't had the opportunity (due to lack of tools and location) to jack it up and take a better look for myself, but the shop was at least nice enough to take pictures for me.

This part is apparently the culprit of the loud knocking noise I hear. I generally hear the noise over larger bumps, but occasionally I guess it gets bumped into a position where when I'm idling the rumble from the exhaust causes it to just constantly rattle extremely loud.

Can anyone identify what exact part this is? I've been looking up engine and transmission mounts, and nothing I've found looks remotely close to this part.

I'm looking to sell this car, and even though it seems like an easy fix, I've had people tell me they wouldn't buy it with that noise happening... So my goal is to fix it ASAP and sell this ride for something else (which I haven't determined yet.. but a TL is looking nice).

The pics are too large to post here, so I've hosted them at PhotoBucket.
The images are high res, so beware, and it might be useful to not view at 100%.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...SOUNDDEAD1.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...SOUNDDEAD2.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...SOUNDDEAD3.jpg

Old 02-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Default RE: Can you identify this part?

I've run across this page (actually i found the engine mount page, and changed the URL to read transmission mount and it found it... doing a search on the page doesn't return this same page which is really annoying)

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepa...t/HONDA/ACCORD

and the part labeled as "Honda Accord - Front Transmission Mount" looks pretty close, but without a closeup view (looks slightly different) and it stating it supports up to a '97 makes me feel like it's not the right one.

I'm starting to believe it's not a engine/tranny mount at all?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 PM

I don't think the transmission mount you found is the part. They don't like the mounting holes match up at all and whatever that bushing thing in the middle is not there...plus, if it was for a 2003 it would have 2003 listed. It kind of seems as if it's a rubber isolator to keep the chassis and body from rubbing too much. My Dad's '01 Dakota has those and it was "new" technology then to have a floating body-on-chassis setup.. if that sounds correct. Someone correct me if I'm blowing hot air.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 PM

Update: I think it's #23 in this picture:

Listed as DAMPER, FR. SUB-FRAME DYNAMIC (RR) @ $40.83/ea.

It is located in the FRONT SUB FRAME - REAR BEAM category of the system/component selector.

This is from hondaautomotiveparts.com aka Majestic Honda.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 AM

Dude you rock.. that looks like the part to me...

I looked and looked on Majestic, just didn't know what in the world I was looking for.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:24 PM

Update to all --- this part is NOT the culprit making the noise... stupid body shop just wanted to get rid of me...

Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 PM

What do you mean they wanted to get rid of you? Seems like an opportunity for them to make more money by saying parts were bad...

Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM

well, my car was in their shopS (yes, multiple shops cuz the first one had tons of idiots working there and they were the one who ran a volvo into my car) for almost 2 months... i know for a fact they were tired of me bitching at them since i expect perfection, and they are far from it...

so yeah normally i guess they would do something like that, but after me bitchign them out for 2 mo straight i can only imagine they were wanting to get rid of me.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM

btw, i've found out it's my exhaust... so glad I didn't let them install that part.. now i have to try and convince these idiots it's my exhaust and see if they'll fix it since they re-re-reinstalled it last...

god i HATE service king... anyone in texas, avoid them like the plague.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:42 PM

Isn't it something you can fix on your own like bending a heat shield or something?

Quick Reply: Can you identify this part?