Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

check engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 05:14 PM
joitoaccord
Unregistered
Default check engine

I have a code po401 insufficient egr flow. Replaced the egr valve and also all the tubing around it but still getting the same code. Anybody out there have suggestions? Thanks in advance. Jose.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: check engine

My suggestion is for you to tell us what year & what engine you have. They're not all exactly the same...

If you've posted before, we can't always remember what you told us last time.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Welcome to HAF,, as stated by JIm,,,,,,,before we go any further, let us know year and model ,, better yet input it in your sign so everyone who will try to help won't have to wonder ..

the insufficient egr flow, is a condition where the egr passages are carboned up,, starting with 1998 v6s have had a lot of issues ,, there is a bulletin . to install an egr tube, need to remove the intake manifoldm drill out the passage larger and install the tube ,,and clean all the carbon from passages ,,,,the kit from Honda comes with a tube, egr valve and gasket and of course instructions ,,,Unless you clean the passages the code will come up again

Old 07-23-2006, 03:43 AM

its a j30 bet you......

there is a kit you have to install or you will never get the code to go away. you should have stopped by here sooner cause you wasted your money on that egr valve your old one was just fine. they have to enlarge the openings in your manifold and install larger tubes that connect to the egr valve.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:43 AM

o yea desert just said that.....

Old 07-23-2006, 09:04 AM

if your car is around the 8 year or 80K mile mark or below Honda will fix it for free. I was at 89K and they still fixed my car this year and it was built in 1997 (it was #209 off of the assembly line according to the sequence number on the VIN)

Old 07-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Honda sent me a letter regarding the emissions Warranty Extension and it is as follows: In 1998, Honda entered into agreement with the US Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) and the California Air Resources Board(CARB). The reason for this agreement was an assertion by the EPA and CARB that there is a technical problem with certain 1995, 1996, 1997 Honda Accord's(all models) On-board Diagnostic system(OBD) that casues it to not comply with the Federal Clean Air Act and California regulations. OBD is a required part of your vehicle's computer system that monitors the functions of the emissions control system. As part of this agreement, Honda is providing owners of certain 1995, 1996, and 1997 vehicles this warranty extension: The Federal California Emissions Warranties have been extended to 14 years from the date your vehicle was first sold, or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. *What you should do: If you vehicle fails a state Smog sheck, or the Malfunction Indicator Lamp comes on (the amber Check Engine Light on the instrument panel), take your vehicle to a Honda dealer. Under the terms of the warranty extension, the dealer will repair any emission-related problem free of charge (includung diagnosis, parts, and labor). If you have paid for parts/repairs which you believe should have been eligible for coverage under this emissions warranty extension, please submit copies of the repair orders and any supporting document for consideration to: American Honda Motor Co.,Inv. Automobile Customer Service PO Box 2964 Torrance, CA 90509-2964 * Please note that only emissions-related parts/repairs may be eligible. Your warranty book contains a list of emissions related parts. If you lost or misplaced your warranty book, a replacement copy can be downloaded from www.honda.com (click on OWNER LINK, WARRANTY/CONTRACTS). If you have any questions about this notice or your emissions warranties, please call American Honda Automobile Customer Service at (800)999-1009. Sincerely, AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.,INC. Honda Automobile Division
I hope that this can help someone. I had to call Honda to receive this letter because I had to deal with a dealership that refused to fix my check engine light problem and I wanted to have the warranty in writting. Since then I have went to another dealership and they have so far helped me.(It's not fixed yet but the dealership says they will fix it no matter what.I still have a few years and 10,000 miles untill the warranty is up.) Good Luck to everyone who is in the same situation I am. This check engine light mess takes alot of patients!!! BREEZE

Old 07-24-2006, 11:59 AM
joitoaccord
Unregistered

Sorry about that it is a 1997, 4 cyl, vtec accord ex.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:31 PM
theNYguy
Unregistered

Really great running into this thread. Just had my check engine light come on as well, and checked at autozone. Some kind of emisssions error, I forget the code. I have the same car as the poster.

Just wondering, does that emissions warranty count if you're not the original owner of the vehicle?

Old 07-25-2006, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: theNYguy

Just wondering, does that emissions warranty count if you're not the original owner of the vehicle?
Yes

Quick Reply: check engine