Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Cold Air
33.33%
Short Ram
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Cold Air vs. Short Ram

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Cold Air vs. Short Ram

Whats the best i can get for my money?

A Cold Air Intake

Or

A Short Ram Intake

Ive heard that short rams make a more throaty/sporty sound, but dont give as much power as a cold air.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Cold Air vs. Short Ram

Please search. What you heard is correct, short ram gives a slightly quick throttle response as well.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 PM

Uhm... Cold air has its UPS...and down.moderate and much more noticeable gain. Short ram is a slight but noticeable gain in power... As finch said Search.

Just a heads up.Ebay short ram piping... AEM Dryflow, or K&N filter.. cheap, and good.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Way too many times this question has been asked and answered..Buy what you like and you'll like it no matter which one it is..honest:

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 AM

AEM V2 ftw!

This is a question asked by many and it's basically up to you to decide. For now, here are some advantages and disadvantages of cold air intakes (CAI) and short ram intakes (SRI).

CAI Advantages:
1. Cold air is more dense than warm air, therefore you'll add more air to the combustion. Therefore, having a CAI will slightly improve performance.
2. A CAI sounds pretty sweet, a somewhat high pitched noise.
3. I've heard of people running their CAIs down to their front bumper (may require cutting a hole in the bumper though).

CAI Disadvantages
1. Longer response time than SRIs.
2. Requires a bypass filter for water. The last thing you'd want is your intake sucking up water.
3. More difficult to install than a SRI.

SRI Advantages
1. Higher volume of air can be taken in compared to CAIs and stock intakes.
2. Short tube, almost instantaneous response.
3. Some people recommend a CAI if you're gonna use forced induction.
4. Deep toned compared to the CAIs.
5. It's under the hood. You have a way lesser chance of getting water up your intake than a CAI.
6. Easy installation!

SRI Disadvantages
1. You don't get cold air.
2. Some people believe that the warm air entering the engine could reduce power while others believe that's offset by the large volume of air being entered. Some SRIs have a heat shield to compensate for this.

Here are the wikipedia articles for CAIs and SRIs:
CAI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake
SRI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_ram_air_intake

I'm not sure if you've heard of the AEM V2 intake, but it's a new type of intake that AEM claims to outperform every type of intake on the market, including their cold air intakes. The way the V2 works is that it it has a pipe with two different diameters. At first it looks like a SRI, but upon further inspection, you can see that it starts off as having a wide diameter towards the filter and a smaller diameter towards the back. What happens is the air is sucked up at a mass volume and then it's forced to be compressed and cooled (compression causes air to cool) when it enters the engine. The intake is also designed to be fairly heat resistant and is also designed to be located at a convenient location away from most of the heat of the engine. As a bonus, you get this nice deep toned (as deep as you can get on Hondas lol) sound coming from your engine. Anyway, I have a V2 intake and it does improve performance and can reduce gas mileage if you drive economically. They're quite pricey, but I think anyone on here would recommend one.

As for your question, I'd probably get a CAI over a SRI if I had to choose between the two. I don't think that a SRI would benefit as much as a CAI on a Honda. SRIs would probably be better on V8s than anything. But seriously, look into the V2 if you can. Here's their site: http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=30

Happy intake hunting!
Antarctica

Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 AM

Sigh...Antarctica, what am I going to do with you? It's been proven than the temperature difference between a CAI and SRI is but a few degrees (I feel likea broken record here). On top of that, the battery keeps most of the heat away from the filter where the air gets pulled in. An if THAT isnt enough, the remaining potential warm air is scavenged away up over the motor and out the back of the hood from the moving air as the car is directed forward. Not only that, but material matters too. If you have a CAI, but it's made out of metal...that's the worst. Metal is an excellent conductor of heat and the warm air near the motor, touching the hot intake manifold...touching the intake arm will absorb that heat. So by the time your "cold air" reaches the IM, it's already warmed up past the levels you want it to be. Always try and get non metal tubing.

Overall, SRI is better for a daily driver. The filter is much easier to get to, therefore easier to clean, and has no chance of water affecting the life of the filter or engine.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:49 AM

Fajita FTW!!!!

Name:  GS300fujitaintake.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  84.6 KB

Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 PM

lol