Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Compression change

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Default Compression change

I have a 92 LX and i want to keep it NA over Turbo. How would i go aboout changing the compression? Whats the stock? Where should i change it to. It's still a daily driver so not so much power, maybe 200WHP. I have a Intake which i made with the stock piping and a K&N kilter, axleback exhuast, and some Iridium plugs. Soon to have a set of Nology wires on soon, as it doesnt start well some times.
I will get a new cam shaft, and forged pistons from f22parts.com, what else do i need?

Old 09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Default RE: Compression change

As far as your exact compression figures, I'm not sure. So far though it sounds like you know about the piston part but I would also recomend doing rods and your bearings while its all apart. The higher the compression the bigger the fire. Ofcourse this all depends on how much compression your looking to get. Another avenue to take is to mill the head. My father owns a Triumph TR6 and he milled the head quite a bit and runs 10.8 compression ratio. Once again, please be careful of your specs and also know that higher compression will require higher octane gas so as not to *ping* around town.
I bet other guys here can help you with exact figures and how far you can push it.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:51 PM

Oh, I'm not sure if they make a stroker kit for your car but that would do the trick and would probably take the guess work out of anything. Not sure if they make one though.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:16 PM

http://www.f22parts.com/item_strokerkit.htm
Little expensive. I cant do the engine work myself either, so it would propaply be in a shop for a few days, plus $$$$[&:].

Old 09-03-2006, 12:23 AM

I think the f22 is around 8:1 stock. Just one of the many reasons it's a good turbo motor.

You can go with some high compression pistons. That wouldn't break the bank too much. You can also have the head milled as slusher said. You will also need to port and polish the heads if you want power gains. The f22 head doesn't flow as well as say an h22 head (which is the motor of choice for most NA applications), so you will need to do all you can to get more air in there. Add an agressive cam (you will need to do your homework here, however) and you'll be in the ball park.

I'm not saying don't do it by any means. It can be done, it will just be a lot of machine work. Keep us filled in, I really want to see a high performance NA f22 out there.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

usually you can get away with a slightly shorter piston and longer rods, but dont look at 200 hp unless youre planning on boring out the cylinders and what not, theres a guy who did a head swap on the f23 with a h23 head, but i think he wound up swaping to a f22b dohc head because he skipped a few notches on the timing belt, but anyways, he was in a 2300lb prelude to get 200whp out of that and that was only boring out to 87mm and dropping in prelude pistons that gave him a round a 11:1 compression basically youll have a lot of work if you plan on keeping it a sohc

Old 09-03-2006, 01:05 AM

So a port and polish, with new cam will set me back about $800. Then all i need is high comp pistons? sorry not the smartest at cars.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:10 AM

What would be a nice comp to raise it up to?

Old 09-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

most places say your compression ratio is 8.8:1 bumping that up to a 10:1 and a new cam with a mild grind should get you another 50ish hp port and polish the head for better air flow and the good news is you will have a nice power curve because you dont have vetc, but you wont have the gas economy that you did either

Old 09-03-2006, 10:48 AM

How much worse would the gas eco be, you think? I mean im already getting ~17mpg [&:]

Quick Reply: Compression change