Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

computer 2004 accord

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 PM
wissie
Unregistered
Default computer 2004 accord

I had an engine light on, brought to local mechanic, vent solenoid replaced. Light came back within days brought back , "something was loose and tightened" picked up car, car died and had to be towed, to Honda. Honda told me computer was "fried" and had to be replaced. They were aware of solenoid being replaced. They put new computer in, which again fried, then they checked solenoid and found it had been put in wrong and shorted out computer. They changed solenoid, put another computer in and charged me for both computers, as the solenoid was not put in by them, cost $1700. I asked them why solenoid was not checked before they replaced original computer, they said this was not the procedure. I told them this seems unethical, but as I needed my car, I paid the bill. The original mechanic may reimburse me as the work done at his shop caused the problem, however he said he is not paying for two computers. I spoke to service manager as well as tech who did the work, but both said I was responsible for both computers. It seems to me that they should have checked this out first before frying the first computer they put in, there should be some diagnostic information available before the computer was replaced. Help! What recourse do I have?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Default RE: computer 2004 accord

that why you should have all your work done by honda, i think they are right no offense

Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: computer 2004 accord

Its adifficult situation. Seems to me the first shop that put in the solenoid is responsible, but the fact that it caused TWO computers to burn up is more difficult.

Dealer is probably right, that they cant spend days checking for parts installed backwards by someone else. Its not really feasable to check EVERYTHING.

Lastly, until I check a wiring drawing, I dont really understand how its even possible toinstall the vent solenoid so wrong that it can fry the computer. Do you know any details about EXACTLY what went wrong with that installation?