Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Coolant Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Default Coolant Leaking

Hey guys,

My 96 accord has been running great until last night, right as I pulled in front of my house, I noticed it was beginning to overheat and white steam was coming in small amounts from my hood.

I turned the car off and decided I'd check on it in the morning, since it was very late.

Today I check and filled the coolant reservoir up with coolant. I drive about 5 blocks, and the car begins to overheat again so I return home to find my coolant is empty and leaking, and the reservoir completely empty.

It's already dark right now, but it seemed to be coming out in large amounts near the reservoir area. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow to show you guys whats up with it, but does anyone know where the most common coolant leaks are and what I should check for?

Never had to deal with anything like this before.

Thanks,

Richo

Old 11-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Coolant Leaking

I'd expect a blown thermostat causing the coolant to boil out of the reservoir via the overflow tube. Hope for this since a t'stat is a cheap and easy fix.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Coolant Leaking

It could also be a crack/leak in the hoses...

I once had a huge crack on the underside of a radiator hose on my VW, and you couldn't see it... since it was on the underside, it'd drip all the way down and you wouldn't exactly know where it was coming from..

Try squeezing (not too hard, don't want to constrict anything) the hoses to see if there's pressure while the car is running... if not, you'll probably see stuff shoot out everywhere.

good luck