Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

drove the car while engine cap opened

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Default drove the car while engine cap opened

so i forgot to put the engine cap back after filling the engine with oil ..i know its dump..and i drove around 10 km and i reliezed that smole were coming out and so i stopped opened the thing and it was oil every where and engine had no oil so i refilled it witg oil and drove normally ...what should i do next?..

Old 02-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

So did you FIND the missing cap?

I'd say you might be OK. The dipstick only shows 1-quart, so there's still about 3 quarts in the engine when the dipstick shows nothing. Did your oil-warning lamp come on?

Gonna be a pain to clean up the oily mess, but you already know that. I'd also change your oil at short miles (or maybe right now) in case any dirt got in there.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

You should check to see if there is anything on your motor that is not suppose to get wet, like the distributor cap, so on.

Be sure your vehicle is in the shade! Then Wet the whole vehicle, top to bottom. Keep the vehicle wet the whole time your doing this, because you don't want degreaser or the dirt that comes from your motor splashed all over the paint.

Spray everything you can see in the engine compartment with the degreaser and then spray the underside of the hood. Do it in this order because the degreaser will drip all over you if you start on the hood.

Begin the process of spraying everything you can see visibly and then aim the wand in all directions, walking around the vehicle from one fender to the next. Be sure that you are spraying the fenders and the windshield and the hood as you are cleaning to prevent the dirt from drying to the paint.

Repeat until all the grease and dirt is off the motor, you can rub hard areas with a brush soaked in degreaser, dirt is usually harder to get off around the edges of the hood and the jambs.

Wash and dry the vehicle, wipe the motor if you want. You can add dressing to the plastics for a more detailed look, any kind of plastic dressing will do fine. Be careful not to get it on the paint or on the belts.

http://www.rightlook.com/images/supp...-degreaser.jpg get something like this

Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Default Thanks for the replyy

yea it was really messyy and dirty trying to clean up the oil ,i did a quick clean up cz i had to go to work ,and when i got back all the oil were gone :P..i refilled it with 4 L oil , now i can see that its more than the full mark ..but it drives fine , i can feel that the engine is stuffed with oil cz it used to be better in acceleration

Old 02-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Default thanks for the advice

Thanks a lot that really helped,i was planning to wash the motor with diesel cz thats what they do in car wash when they wash the engine ,but when i read ur reply i did wat u told me and now it looks better than before ...thanks alot

Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

If it's really TOO full, take some oil out. If it's too high, the crankshaft journals will whip up the oil into a froth that doesn't lubricate very well. A couple mm above the top mark on the dipstick is OK. How high is it?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 AM

its like 1 or 1.5 cm above the full mark , no smoke is coming out , so u think i should take some out?

thanks
Joe

Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

1 to 1.5 cm, yes I would drain some out......