Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Easy horse Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Default Easy horse Power

Hey i have a '91 accord ex and i want to squeeze as much hp as i can out of it. I already have a cold air intake and full exhaust, but i want more power. this is my first honda i have had to customize, and i don't have access to a lift or anything. i'm looking for pointers onbasic, at home couple of hours a part projects i can do myself. i am already looking into a bigger fuel filter/pump to start. (more gas means more power) but i don't know how much my stock head can handle, or if i should replace it first. I don't even know what parts are inter-changable with an f22. i know B series to B series and D to D, H to H(occasionally) but i don't know what kind of head would be better for an F series. so basically i'm stuck seeing that i'm the only one in my circle of friends that is even into working on hondas. Any suggestions

Old 05-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Easy horse Power

You dont need a new fuel pump, I can guarantee you that.

The best mod you can do, is knowledge, start reading.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 PM

A new fuel pump/filter wont do anything. My advice, if you want hp buy a different platform that is worth boosting. Your '91 is pretty limited when it comes to big HP #'s

Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Flatline1121 more gas means more power
If it were that easy we'd all have 1000hp engines. More fuel is easy to arrange, but it's not more fuel so much as more air that makes more power. Getting an engine to inhale significantly more air (so it can actually burn more fuel, rather than dribble it out the exhaust) is not nearly so easy. Too much fuel for the quantity of air your engine can inhale and it will lose power (and cost more to run, and wear out faster).

In any case, a larger fuel filter and pump will have zero affect on how much fuel your engine will use, unless your existing filter and / or pump are defective. A larger filter / pump may be required after fitting the big cams / ported head / oversize throttle body / monster turbo (or whatever), but certainly you're nowhere needing them yet.

There are no simple and cheap ways to make significant power increases beyond what you've already done, be prepared to spend time and money if you have the need for speed...

Old 05-26-2008, 07:43 AM

swap engines... go H22 for NA or F22 for turbo...

Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 PM

Easy, cheap you say??

remove weight off of your accord. take out everything you do not need. i.e. interior etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 PM

knowledge is power!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 PM

Yeah, the H22a4 has a cap on 250HP...but the A-something system can be removed...but with a lot of work.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 AM

dont listen to anyone who says the 91 ex isnt worth boosting its one of the best models to boost partially because of the obd platform it runs. your running an f22a4 motor ( or you should be) there was also a f22a6 that went into the sedan model SE and the wagon ex of your year. the intake manifold from that engine would be easy hp. it uses vacuum operated butterflies that stay closed in part throttle situations to speed intake velocity and open wide when you dig in to provide maximum flow.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM

ORIGINAL: white98accordex

Easy, cheap you say??

remove weight off of your accord. take out everything you do not need. i.e. interior etc.
that's not even cheap... IT'S FREE!!! LOL

So you should boost... but since Im guessing it's gonna be kindda hard to get 3k or so, then consider bolt-on's such as header, intake, exhaust...

Quick Reply: Easy horse Power