Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Hotgirl1
Unregistered
Default Engine light

i just bought my first car this week. All of a sudden the speedometer does not work nor does the miliage thing( it will go to 20 and stop and thats about it).The the main problem that scares the vejesus out of me is the engine light pops on when I hit 3rpm for a steady period of time( about 5 or so min) can you please help me out???

Oh yeah it cannot be hooked up at Autozone..the nut before me cut the cord that hooks up to it.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Default RE: Engine light

wtf the guy that owned the car before you cut the harness that hooks up to an obd reader?
It's going to be hard to determine the source of the problem without letting the ecu telling the mechanic whats wrong with the car.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

so what kind of car do you drive? is it a honda?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Hotgirl1

i just bought my first car this week. All of a sudden the speedometer does not work nor does the miliage thing( it will go to 20 and stop and thats about it).The the main problem that scares the vejesus out of me is the engine light pops on when I hit 3rpm for a steady period of time( about 5 or so min) can you please help me out???

Oh yeah it cannot be hooked up at Autozone..the nut before me cut the cord that hooks up to it.
wow are you really a hot girl? pics, asl? ......did you name yourself that so all the dudes would Jump on it? im probably right..

Old 10-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Hotgirl1
Unregistered

yes it is a Honda...94 Honda LX 190,000 miles...is the engine light and problem with the speedometer related.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Hotgirl1
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: Velocifero

ORIGINAL: Hotgirl1

wow are you really a hot girl? pics, asl? ......did you name yourself that so all the dudes would Jump on it? im probably right..

Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 AM

Probably related. The check engine light does not stay on all the time? Was it the guys at AutoZone that couldn't read the code and told you the wires had been cut? Sometimes the AutoZone guys will give you thier "opinion" without really knowing what they are talking about. if I were you I would search the DIY section for checking your engine light codes. Look for the connector. A lot of those AutoZone guys don't know their @$$ from their elbow - especially when it comes to Hondas.
One time I brought my 95 to have the CEL code checked and the AutoZone guy was like "It's not possible to read the code in that car with my scanner." I said: "Just give me the d*** thing and I'll show you." I showed him, andhe was like "WTF?"

Old 10-12-2007, 11:39 AM

Oh I almost forgot. AutoZone may only have an OBDII scanner. Your car's ECU is OBDI. If I were you, I would try to jumper the wires myself and read the code, or take it to a Honda shop or dealer.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

x2 onthe car beingOBD-1. The guy didn't realize '94 is too old to use an OBD-2 scanner?!?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Well....I would understand why he wouldn't realize it. Remember, about 1/2 of the 5th gen card were OBDI & the other 1/2 were OBDII. Plus I don't really expect AutoZone helpers to know everything about every car on the road.

Quick Reply: Engine light