Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Managment light trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 04:16 PM
accordian
Unregistered
Default Engine Managment light trouble

I drive a 2002 Honda Accord 1.8..Its done 27000 miles but its been giving me unending trouble since April.The latest problem is the engine managment light which comes on every now and then..when it does the gearbox goes into safemode making the car undrivable.I got it checked the first time when it happened and the garage told me it was a fault with the throttle position sensor or something.They didn`t actually fix it but just reset the computer instead.Now I have the same trouble again and on being checked the computer showed the '078' fault code which I gather has something to do with transmission solenoids,wiring etc(whatever that might be).The garage reset the computer again but I`m really worried now..does the fault code mean there is something wrong with the gearbox?The gearbox feels a bit jerky when it shifts but I`d never given much thought to it until now.What could the trouble possibly be??Anyone who has any idea of what the fault code means,please help.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Default RE: Engine Managment light trouble

A 2002 Honda 1.8? If this is a USDM Accord, then there is no such engine. Check to make sure it's a 2.3l or 3.0l. Also I'm assuming were talking about a stock ECU (computer). I need to know what engine is in there.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:35 PM
accordian
Unregistered

Its not exactly 1.8..its 1850cc if I remember correctly.I`m sure they don`t make such small cars in America anymore but back here in good old England they still do The fault code showed up on the ECU which I believe has a port like thingie which can be plugged into just under the dash on the left.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Administrator

It's called an OBII analyzer and can be bought in most parts stores over here for about $140.00 bucks.
Have you ever seen one or seen one used on a car?

WheelBrokerAng
ORIGINAL: accordian

Its not exactly 1.8..its 1850cc if I remember correctly.I`m sure they don`t make such small cars in America anymore but back here in good old England they still do The fault code showed up on the ECU which I believe has a port like thingie which can be plugged into just under the dash on the left.