Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Engine swap.

New here, did a bunch of searching (here and elsewhere) and didn't quite find the answer(s) I was looking for.

Here goes,

I have a 96 EX with a f22b1 sohc vtec AT at 207,XXX miles.
I want (or to get as close to) an h22 (JDM Si-R).
I would also like to do a MT swap.

Would I go with an h22a or an h22a1?
What other cars came stock with an h22 engine? I've heard the Prelude of the same year span has the engine? If so, what year(s)?

What would be the most cost effective, easiest way to do this?

I am really lost. Lastly, mpg loss means nothing to me.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

The most cost effective way to do what you have intended would be to buy another 1996 EX already equipped with a manual transmission, do the engine swap in that car, and once it's all done, sell your current one.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

I think a Prelude with H22 will have a closer gear ratios in the transmission & you'll want that to go with the H-engine. However, all the other stuff (shift lever, console, clutch, etc) will be easily found in a manual-trans Accord.

I think Live2Rice has gone through this, so lets hope he chimes in. Are you looking for the "joy of the project" or are you looking for the finished product?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Shipo, I know, I'm looking for a mechanics special kind of car to do this with but I want I put it in my car for the, I did it feeling. Thank you.

JimBlake, so do I and it will be for both the joy and finished product.

Last edited by markalau; 03-12-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by markalau
Shipo, I know, I'm looking for a mechanics special kind of car to do this with but I want I put it in my car for the, I did it feeling. Thank you.
To each his own. Do you have any idea how long your car is going to be out of service to make a change like this? Said another way, if this was a weekend job (or even a two or three weekend job for that matter), I'd seriously be considering swapping the slushbox in my Accord for a manual (I really hate driving cars which don't have three pedals under the dash).

Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I imagine it would take anywhere from 2 days to a week but if I can get my hands on an engine and tranny I would get everything ready from the donor car over a period of time and try to get as much if not everything done in a day. I really don't like to be without my car because it's my dd. I know it sounds like I may be underestimating this job but I have seen my dad do an engine swap in a weekday.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

I see you are in CA....first thing you need to do it research the laws and go ahead and start the conversation with the CARB ref's. I think you have to get the car BAR'd with the different engine....plus know that you are OBD-II, so I think in CA that brings another level of effort.

Again, this can be done but you need to know this and plan for it.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks poorman212, a friend of mine recently did an engine swap in his civic and I briefly had a moment to speak with him today and he was telling me about it after I told him I wanted to do an engine swap. I really am just trying to gather information for this plan anything you can offer is extremely helpful! Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by markalau
I imagine it would take anywhere from 2 days to a week but if I can get my hands on an engine and tranny I would get everything ready from the donor car over a period of time and try to get as much if not everything done in a day. I really don't like to be without my car because it's my dd. I know it sounds like I may be underestimating this job but I have seen my dad do an engine swap in a weekday.
Based upon what you've suggested are your goals, the engine swap is the least of your concerns. The swap of the transmission itself won't make things too much more difficult, but they you're faced with converting the various linkages, plumbing and wiring, and that's where things can go south fast.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the CARB thing will make it all very difficult.

In my opinion a turbo F22 is better than a H22 and about the same price.