Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Extending the Life of my Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Default RE: Extending the Life of my Transmission?

This is what got done to my car at lube express. http://www.aatecusa.com/cloreautomotive/t-tech.htm

Old 01-23-2009, 03:40 PM
artman101
Unregistered

Has anyone had a good experience with a transmission replacement, If so how long have you been on the new transmission. Also what is the design defect here. I love this car, but should I get rid of it, or is it still more reliable than other alternatives. I can't afford a new honda.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

I think the warning about flushes comes from shops that use non-Honda ATF, or they back-flush with external pumps, or stuff like that.

When you just let clean ATF flow in & out by the trannys own pumps, that should be good. You need to know that YOUR shop does it this way.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 PM
f22b boy
Unregistered

hi i have a 95 accord with an f22b1 engine and an auto tranny. what do you think would be better,beef up my automatic or swap to a five speed?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

My favorite would have to be 5-speed. But its a lot of work, lot of parts have to be swapped out (like center console, etc). Maybe better to sell & buy one with a 5-speed.

Its your car, your money, your time.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 AM
artman101
Unregistered

What is the best transmission cooler for my V6? Are they hard to install?

Old 02-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i'd also like to know the best option for a 97 6 cyl. auto transmission cooler. Anyone know the answer?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the replacement 4at transmissions hold up very well and should last a lot longer.........

Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 PM
CaptainM63
Unregistered

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
the replacement 4at transmissions hold up very well and should last a lot longer.........

You may be right there...my '98 Accord's transmission went out at 82K in 2003, and I had my mechanic replace it (since it wasn't under any Honda warranty). It was still going strong at 189K until my daughter totaled it in 2008. I kept up with having the tranmission oil serviced every 30K. I think my mechanic only had to replace a solenoid once that had cracked and the transmission oil had gotten inside of it (about 70 bucks).

By the way, she had taken a curve too fast (that V-6!) and overcorrected. She was slowing down, but not soon enough and hit a telephone pole head on. That old accord's front end wrapped itself around the pole. However, she was able to walk away from it with only a minor scratch on her face when the airbag deployed and pushed her glasses back. The passenger compartment was never compromised. From the back, you couldn't tell the car had been in an accident. That was one great car, built like a tank! I may consider getting another one, but I must admit, the only thing holding me back is that transmission issue.

I don't like the new accords,..too big and getting bloated if you ask me. This is off topic, but on the new Accord sedan, who designed those head and tail lights?? Looks like guppy eyes! I do like the look of the new Accord Coupe, but it looks pretty big still next to the older coupes.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

That's one thing I hate about all the new cars. You compare the 90's cars with the 10's (is that how we refer to them now? Ha, around 2010) and the new cars are HUGE.

Like Captain said, "bloated" is a good word.

Other than that, I might have to get my tranny replaced, I've been servicing it, but we'll see. I think I'm gonna sell though and move to a manual again... Hopefully then I can control the wear and tear.

Quick Reply: Extending the Life of my Transmission?