Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

f20b help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default f20b help!!!!

i have just swapped an f20b into my car, looked for help on any kind of wiring found none, went and did my own thing, got it running and running good except the iac valve wiring, atleast i think its just a wiring issue. or my iac could be bad. issue is if i buy another iac and spend all that money and it doesnt stop reving high then i still cant take it back for a refund. so anyone with a good knowledge on this engine or wiring to help me out on this.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Supper Moderator

talk to live2rice he knows a good bit about f20b. He has one swaped in his accord too...

Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Are you using the F20b intake manifold?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by live2rice
Are you using the F20b intake manifold?
ok heres what all i did, keep in mind my cars wiring system is all obdIIa wiring but my car is a 94, i had an obdII f22b vtec out of a 96 acc ex in it for a bit. made me a bit sleepy afterwhile so i picked up an f20b with proven 21k on it for 500 bucks even. it dropped completely in with no mods to mounts or anything else.... but the wiring. found no luck on internet nor from peter from rywire. he told me i couldnt use the f22b ecu and get the f20b running. well he was wrong cause i did just that cause i didnt have the f20b ecu right away. so i spliced plugs here and there on my f22b eng harness to fit most places on the f20b. then bought the "correct" ecu for the f20b manual and a obdIIa to obdIIb ecu conversion harness, plugged it all in and no dice, so i took the stock injectors,map sensor from the f22b and slapped them in the f20b and used the f22 ecu and voila it ran, and i then tryed the f20b ecu and it also ran but for some weird reason only when i use the f20 ecu does it overheat. not the thermo,rad, waterpump or anything like that cause i replaced all those before droppin it in so yeah, so for now im stickin to the f2 ecu, only issue is i cant get either the wiring right or i have a bad iac. and yes i know that the eng will function like my f22 but with a second cam, until i figure out how to get the f20b ecu to work properly in my car. hope this gives you enough info.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Supper Moderator

sohc vtec engages diff. that dohc vtec. That MIGHT harm the engine. sohc vtec is low end dohc vtec is high end. Not sure if thats gonna matter but I would THINK it would

Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by g22cd5
sohc vtec engages diff. that dohc vtec. That MIGHT harm the engine. sohc vtec is low end dohc vtec is high end. Not sure if thats gonna matter but I would THINK it would
wont harm it cause its just like if you hooked up a vafc and set the vtec lower.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Supper Moderator

You’re going to lose power then. Sohc vtec like I said it really low rpms to make up for the two. sohc vtec and dohc are 2 total diff. things.
sohc vtec opens one intake valve open farther and the 2nd intake valve only part way to create a "swirl" effect to burn the fuel more efficntly. It's meant for fuel economy not for power. Also sohc vtec the exhaust vales don't open any farther than norm. sohc vtec dose NOTHING with the exhaust side of the head. sohc vtec only works from like 1500rmps to 3000rpms or so. DOHC vtec is for top end power. you your actually going to choke your engine down b/c it won’t run vtec at high end. S why not just get h23 head and call it a day...cus that’s all your h22 head is going to act like,. Say goodbye to your high end HP.
Personally I wouldn’t bother with that ecu get the right one to run your engine the correct way....but hey it's your engine you do what you want. Just don’t expect to make the power what the factory states. Your gonna choke the engine down to around 140-150hp...same power as a f22a6 engine. That’s going to suck to get walked on by a single slammer when you have an f20b power plant.

Last edited by g22cd5; 09-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by g22cd5
You’re going to lose power then. Sohc vtec like I said it really low rpms to make up for the two. sohc vtec and dohc are 2 total diff. things.
sohc vtec opens one intake valve open farther and the 2nd intake valve only part way to create a "swirl" effect to burn the fuel more efficntly. It's meant for fuel economy not for power. Also sohc vtec the exhaust vales don't open any farther than norm. sohc vtec dose NOTHING with the exhaust side of the head. sohc vtec only works from like 1500rmps to 3000rpms or so. DOHC vtec is for top end power. you your actually going to choke your engine down b/c it won’t run vtec at high end. S why not just get h23 head and call it a day...cus that’s all your h22 head is going to act like,. Say goodbye to your high end HP.
Personally I wouldn’t bother with that ecu get the right one to run your engine the correct way....but hey it's your engine you do what you want. Just don’t expect to make the power what the factory states. Your gonna choke the engine down to around 140-150hp...same power as a f22a6 engine. That’s going to suck to get walked on by a single slammer when you have an f20b power plant.
ran the snap on solus scanner as i was driving and vtec was engaged from 1900 till redline which isnt bad, either way i already stated i know it will run just like my sohc f22 in my other post. i understand all that and i had already purchased correct ecu for the f20b but like i said if i use that ecu it makes to car overheat somehow, as soon as i hook up the f22b ecu it doesnt overheat anymore. im just trying to figure out the whole iac situation cause the car runs perfectly when past the lower rpms and pulls really well when im on it. i want to get everything else squared away wiring wise before i do all the ecu tuning and what not.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Supper Moderator

ummmyes thats bad to be running vtec from 1900rpms to red line. Your losing power also. You tq. has gone out the window...personally just get a street tune on w/e ecu you want to run and be done with it.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

got an h22 manifold on the way for 50 bucks shipped. that should help much.

Quick Reply: f20b help!!!!