Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

f20b help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Supper Moderator

what you gonna do about vtec running all the time? gonna ware out your head components quick

Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

called a vafc by apexi

Old 09-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Supper Moderator

I know what that is. But your not getting my point...running vtec that low will not only put more unneeded stress on your head your also losening power at the same time..Why on earth would you want to lose power?...but w/e your engine not mine so g/l!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

then you should know that you can adjust the vt3c points .... see where im goin here?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Supper Moderator

yup sure do...goin for head failure

Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

highly doubt it but hey your the expert apparently, btw engines been running supremely since last post and checked all valve clearances and compression tested just the other day and everything is up to spec. highly doubt vtec running from 2300 on up will harm it considering they have chipped ecu's and whatnot what make the vtec engaged all the time and those people have no issues. but thanks anyhow.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Supper Moderator

running a lower vtec engagement point is fine. but not as low as you have it is 1. losing your low end tq. and 2. putting more stress on your head components. You can do what you want obviously...but being smart about it is a totally diff. story. I have yet to see anyone runnin vtec that low…its just dumb pointless. Also it’s very unsafe to run vtec that low since there isn’t enough oil press for the vtec locking pin. So like I said be4 your gonna mess your head up down the road. Please do some research and study the torque curve of the f20 engine. You will gain some midrange power by lowering the vtec point by a few hundred RPM but 2500-3000 RPM is way too low. This will cost you power. The high-rpm cam profile has far too much valve overlap to allow for good low-rpm power. BUt it’s your car and engine so your gonna do what you want...I’m just tryin to help you understand why you don’t want to have vtec pop at that low of a rpm. If your ok with power loss and adding unneeded stress to your head then keep it the way you have it.

This is the last time I’m gonna say anything about it just I’m just repeating myself over and over. So I’m done...but if you have questions I will be more than happy to help you out.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 AM

G22CD5 wow your full of yourself, how can you bash a guy in every post you make, and never once even attempt to answer his question, which yes he had a question in there, nad then end with I will be glad to help you if you have a question. I have always found it amusing to find the forum know it all that thinks his way is the only way and they always tend to be pompus donkeys that no one listens too but to see your a moderator shows the quality that can be expected from this forum.

94f20bacc, if the IAC vavle works when your using your F22B2 ECU but not with the F20B ECU then it is a wiring or comunitcation error. I saw you had a wiring adapter OBD11a to b harness. There may be a problem with that try hooking it up without the adapter. Also remember that the ECU needs all its inputs to properly control the engine so it your have a sensor hooked up wrong it may not be getting the needed information to run the engine correctly. IAC vavles are really simple items they get a alternating open and close signal from the ECU and if you have a good meter, book and jumpers you can test your valve and wiring at the vavle. Also most the MPI hondas I have ever messed with have 2 diferent idle control vavles one thats coolant conrolled and one that is ECU controlled might check both.

My recomendation is either get the complete wiring harness and ECU for THAT engine or take your setup to a good tuner and let him figure it all out. Im affraid if you keep down the road of getting this piece and that to make it all work you will end up with more money into a frankenstien then you would have spent at a good tuner. Cause obviously you want the full potential out of your set up or you would not have spent the time and money to swap it out. Hope this helps some. Good luck with the hardest part of any swap getting it to run perfect.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Supper Moderator

well obviously you can’t read and don’t know what bashing really is. I didn’t once bash him…he just has some things to learn which I tried to explained. I have warned him time and time again running vtec that low will wear out head components and will sacrifice low-end power. The original question he ask I didn’t know the answer fully but I gave my input and how SOHC vs. DOHC vtec works... he obviously doesn’t understand the point of vtec if he is going to lower is engagement that low…It’s completely pointless and is a loss of power…and is unsafe since there isn’t enough oil pressure to lock up vtec. Your right I’m full of myself...full of useful info. I don’t just *****-nilly post info that I don’t know. I don’t claim to know everything but the things I do know I will sure post and stick up for.
so thank you and have a nice day