Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

FLA Newbie 95 Accord LX w/Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

I would say the head is from a 94-97 accord vtec(f22b1). And as I said before I think the block is the f22b engine from japan.

Did the previous owner say the engine ever ran? I'm not sure on the specific details on the F22B as it was never sold in this country. But its possible the block is basically the same as the f22b1 and f22b2 that were sold here, just the head was different on it.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes he said it ran fine for years, and I've seen him driving the car in the past as we're neighbors here in Gainesville. I just had a thought ... I'm going to go check the ECU for clues ... couldn't hurt!

Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have a 95 non vtech dist I would sell for $20

I can take pictures of the plugs for you as I think it matches the wiring you have

LMK

Old 03-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, well I finally removed the ECU and it's number is 37820-P0B-A01, which would correspond to a 5-speed 95 Accord LX. I also verified this by checking the VIN online ...

It appears that none of the wires have been altered... the pin designation (A4) for the vtec solenoid is empty, as is the D6 for the pressure switch....

sooo... that means that the VTEC was never properly connected in this car. So we know that, and it looks like it's a VTEC engine from the same generation (and not a year 2000). Thanks @live2rice !!

As for the distributor ... this one was working on the car as far as I know, so I'm probably just going to order an adapter like this one:
Rywire : OBD1 to OBD2 10-pin Distributor Adapter - $35.00
Has anyone tried an adapter like that?
Or I may just do my trick from earlier and chop off some plugs from the junkyard. I will let you know if I decide to buy that dizzy from you!

So really we're just left with the plug with the three wires ... I still have no idea where they go, lol :-) It was chopped and spliced on the original harness ... Maybe I won't connect it and we'll just see what happens ...

Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default She Runs!!! Woooooohhhh!

Hey guys, here's the update!

BIG thank you out to crispin !!! He mailed me a distributor and coil pack for CHEAP! And fast! I installed it, and messed with the firing order, and just like that, SHE CRANKED RIGHT UP (youtube vid below):

95 Accord - Finally Running! - YouTube

Oh, and of course a big thank you out to live2rice , he helped TREMENDOUSLY in the quest to determine what the heck my engine was!

If you look closely, you will notice that the external coil pack is not bolted down. Because of the different motor, there was no place to mount it that I could find. So I'm going to have to devise something ... it'll probably only take a few minutes I hope.

You will notice that the engine has a weird sound to it. I'm hoping that it's just b/c the VTEC is not yet hooked up. I have a writeup for that I'm going to follow and I'll prolly do that this weekend - no biggie! Also, you may notice that the RPM's are very low. Keep in mind that the engine hadn't been started in 4-5 months, and after letting it run for a while, it straitened out and is fine now (I think ).

Next steps? VTEC, replace headlights (one's broken), FIX THE SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER!!, wash, wax, detail, passenger window not going down, hit on deborah, get rejected, call a ... (if you don't know, prob best if you don't ask, lol), oh and most importantly, mount that coil pack!

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Good to hear, I told you I thought that Dist and coil would be the one you need.

I may have the mount for the coil still, I gotta check my parts pile, if so I will send it your way.

Good job getting it going!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks crispin! GREAT JOB getting me the right distributor quickly!!! Much thanks man!

I would love to leave feedback for you - anyone know where to post that?

Originally Posted by crispin
Good to hear, I told you I thought that Dist and coil would be the one you need.

I may have the mount for the coil still, I gotta check my parts pile, if so I will send it your way.

Good job getting it going!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 PM

I just watched your video and I would not have the coil mount anymore, I still have the intake from the 95 but sent the block to the scrapyard already.

I could not hear anything bad on my laptop but the speakers are not great at all anyway.

I heard the normal fuel injector, valve ticking and what sounds like an alternator bearing.

You should change the oil asap as well.

Also if need any more parts I took everything off my 95 donor car that I could so I have a good sized pile of parts sitting here.

If the car has an auto trans I would also do a drain and fill with Honda fluid before you start driving it.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Cool! Guess where I've been? Driving!!!

Fixed the headlights and I also got some 10w-40 synthetic oil and an oil filter (a good one and hopefully the right one for the car).

It's a manual, so no problem there, I just want to run the car with the old oil for about a day to ensure that any that has gunked up can loosened up before I do the change. I will probably change it again soon anyways - it's a good idea I think.

So anybody know why the speedometer and odometer aren't working? I have a feeling that it's no coincidence that the car has 199,450 miles on it and that's when the odometer "happened" to stop working just sayin' ...

Crispin, I will DEF let you know if I need more parts! Possibly that intake ... but lemme get everything under control first ... maybe in a month or so.
Originally Posted by crispin
I just watched your video and I would not have the coil mount anymore, I still have the intake from the 95 but sent the block to the scrapyard already.

I could not hear anything bad on my laptop but the speakers are not great at all anyway.

I heard the normal fuel injector, valve ticking and what sounds like an alternator bearing.

You should change the oil asap as well.

Also if need any more parts I took everything off my 95 donor car that I could so I have a good sized pile of parts sitting here.

If the car has an auto trans I would also do a drain and fill with Honda fluid before you start driving it.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:17 PM

The VSS mounted on teh top of the transmission controls the speedo and odo.
It is under the intake tube, make sure the connector is connected and if so pull the vss out (2 - 10mm bolts) and clean it.
If that does not fix it you will need another.
The 5 speed is a great transmission.
It takes 10w-40 oil as well, 2 quarts
You should drain it and fill it back up, super easy to do.

Quick Reply: FLA Newbie 95 Accord LX w/Engine Swap